It's almost Winter, What to do

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by twaskom, Nov 7, 2017.

1. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hi all. Just setting here thinking about the really cold weather just around the corner. Thought I would give a reminder that it is one of the most important times to change the gear oil in the lower foot of your outboard motor. If you have gotten any water in the lower foot, it can freeze in the cold temperatures and do a lot of damage. So now is the time to drain the old oil (and maybe water) out and add new oil. It is rather simple but if you are unsure what to do check out youtube for the procedure and you will see how easy it is.

I try to use my motor year around so I do not actually winterize it but I also use an additive to help keep the gas from going bad. I am not pushing any product but I use Sta-bil Marine additive year around but mostly think it is important during the winter months. It can not bring old bad gas back to a fresh state but it is supposed to keep good gas from going bad. A bottle is not too high priced and only needing 1 ounce per 10 gallons it will last you a while. Again, I am not intending to sell a product but this or a similar product might be worth some thought before winter gets any closer.

tight lines all

Zigarro, R. D. Hilton and Machine-o like this.
  2. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Second thought is to lower the motor to the lower position so no water can get trapped in the propeller housing and freeze there.

R. D. Hilton likes this.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Good tips..were gonna keep fishing down our way..see what winter brings...

Zigarro and jdstraka like this.
  4. bvomark

bvomark Well-Known Member

State:
    Bartlesville, oklahoma
    There is an easy answer to the question. Starting the 18th of this month a person should be deer hunting here in Oklahoma. Once I have got my doe and buck then fishing season starts all over.

The only thing that interrupts the fishing is if the lake freezes over. We catch alot of blues during the winter. Just turn the heat on in the boat cabin and it will stay in the 50s. Without any wind that is comfortable. In between will cut some wood to keep the house warm.

5. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    right on dude, bvomark hit the nail on the head. Those leaves turn and it's time to get some deer. Although my best catfish have all been in Oct and Nov. Thank god I don't have to winterize my engine, I am so glad I left Illinois !

Zigarro likes this.
  6. MJ_Catfishlover

MJ_Catfishlover New Member

Name:
    Marlon Jones
    How do you catch blues in the fall/winter time in the middle ga area if you are bank fishing.

7. MJ_Catfishlover

Name:
    Marlon Jones
    How do you locate deep holes to find the cats if you are bank fishing.

8. MJ_Catfishlover

Name:
    Marlon Jones
    I love catfishing. Maybe it's the area I need some pointers. I tried a lot of things. I fished out of Sandy Run Creek, Leisure Lake I caught 1 small bullhead.

9. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Marion,this may not be a lot of help because you probably already know this.

Try smaller baits. I like cut bait from a locally found fish.

Try areas of deeper water or still deep but just upstream of a deep hole.
    Ask locals and local bait shops about where deep holes are. They may just give you an answer.

When bank fishing cast one rod short distance, next rod farther out and third rod all the way out in an attempt to fish different depths. Then adjust according to the results you get. If all are the same distance out you are probably fishing the same depth.

Sorry I can not help with local information.

Zigarro likes this.
  10. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    Thanks Tom for the reminder,with fall here and winter on it's way the hunting bug will cause many a boat motor to be in need of repair when spring hits. Thanks

Catpaw likes this.