Its almost time!

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Blue Duck, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    This forum should be starting to buzz.........

2. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I am to busy working on traps to spend much time on the puter. I just got through tonight getting all my 280's ready. I have them packed up and ready for deployment come Nov. 20. I just picked up 24 #1 1/2 Victors coils today. I boiled them tonight while working the killers. I can not get all the oil and grease off them, so I will have resort to a 5 gal bucket of gas. I hate to use gas as it is dangerous to have a open can some where, but that is the only thing I know of that will cut the grease and oil off the traps. The man that had them pasted last spring and his wife sold them. He used them for coon trapping, I am going to use them for fox. I have to make some mods to them. I am going to cut the rings off the chain and put sweivels on. I am going to work on the pans and dogs and make hair trigers on them with night latches so they all set the same. I have to make up close to 120 stablizer one night this week. I have to clean the fur shed back up and get the #11's ready and packed away. Oh, and I need to change out all my drowners on the #11. I used J hooks last year, and I am going to change them out to S hooks this year. I have to have it all done by Nov 18. I have my work cut out for me.

3. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Looks like your really into it....... How many traps are you running total? This will be my first year trapping after a long layoff. I haven't trapped since the early 80's. Ill probably only run about 2 dozen rat and mink traps, half dozen 220's and a few snares, just to see if I want to get more serious next year. I can feel the feaver coming on tho.... So if the prices come back like predicted, I may go a lot harder next year...

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I myself have 5 doz 280's, 6 doz #11 long spring, 2 doz 1 1/2 coil springs, and 18 #2 wolfer 4x4 BMI cat traps. All others are victors. On thanksgiving morning I plan to open over 100 traps. My trapping partner Gooboy already have 8 doz open when I arrive on the line.

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    With any luck at all your going to be busy... Good luck.

6. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I figure from now till about March I will be busy every single day of the week working on traps, fur, or fur. We have so much to do before the first trap is set. It is nothing like the old days when I just took the coon traps to the woods and set them. Now days, older and wise I make every prep so that once on the line I can lay as much steel as possible. Plus home is over and hour away and if something breaks or is lost I can just run to the house. The first line of the year will cover over 20 miles of river one way. No time to stop and fix equipment. Grab another and go.

7. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Mike, good luck on your trapline this year. Ya better watch out, it's addictive!!:smile2: I talked Tony into getting back into it 3 years ago, and he's gone hog wild! I been trying to teach him a thing or two, but man he's hard headed!!:cool2: Keep us updated on your catch and be safe.

eric cottrell

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i am getting ready myself,still have traps to finsh tuneing and dyeing/waxing our season dont start untill nov. 14th so i still have time

9. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

cuttingout.... oven cleaner will degrease a trap in a hurry!cheaper than gas. so will just taking them to the car wash and spraying them down

10. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Tom, I have tried the car wash. No good. I have boiled in soapy water for 1 hour per doz. Some good but still oily and heavy grease. I even went as far as getting Meradic acid and washing one trap. I could not take the vapors so I put that away. Now I have gotten the most of the oil and grease off most of the traps, but now I am going to break down and try some oven cleaner on the stuborn ones. Thanks for the help. After all this oil and grease is removed, I wounder if these traps are going to stay together and work. :big_smile:

11. MattW

MattW New Member

State:
    Florida
    For what it's worth. I always boiled mine in Red Devil Lye. I can to about ten gallons of water.
    If you choose to use it be carefull!!!!!

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

lye works well but caution should be used with it, it works real well to strip rust off old traps,plain white vinager will do the same thing just takes longer. power wasking traps to get the grease off works well,or oven cleaner or really any heavy degresser you can find cheap enough, i like to boil my traps for long periods of time after useing most degressers to make sure the smell is gone

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    mike have you tried using lye yet i used to pour a cad of regular draino in my boiling tub and boil for about an hour works real good just dont splash on you or get in your eyes good luck heck you guys might get me to get some of the 200or so ive got stashed out not all 200 but maybe a couple doz or so and start up again

14. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    223 what do you have stached out? Do you have some good ole cat and fox traps hide? I am planing on get after some fox and cat this season.

Oh, and I got the oil off the traps. I used some O'Rileys engine degreaser. Then I boiled them, and waxed them. I am ready to go now.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I used to do alot of cat and coyote trapping so ive got a whole bunch of #2montgomery dogless coils and #3coins as well as longsprings and a few little #11/2 for coons

16. bobact

bobact New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The easiest way to get all the oil/grease off of your traps is spray them down with some cheap oven cleaner - wait for 15 min. or so - then stick them in your wife's dish washer. It will work. She might not like it but it won't hurt the dishwasher. But then again, she'll know that you know how to operate the dish washer.

17. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Tomorrow... Nov. 1st. is the day I have been waiting for. It will be my first trapping season for years.. Its got me feeling like a little kid again.

18. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ha my iowa season started november 3rd. man im doing good for trial and error. fourth day of season here and im up to 5 muskrats 1 coon and 0 coyote or fox. i think im doing good with trapping only 1 pond that is about 9 acres. i have out now 6 110s and 3 #1 longspring victors that i got from 223smitty and i have out 2 #1 coilsprings and 1 #1.25 or #1 1/2 longspring. lifes good. TRAPPING IS THE MOST ADRENALINE PUMPING THING IVE DONE IN SUCH A LONG TIME!!!!! ive gone crazy over this. the smell of fur and steel. the musky odor from a good days worth of trapping! MMMM ITS GREAT!:smile2: :smile2: