It's About Time!

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Longjohn119, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I finally got my big flathead for the year last night/early this morning about 2:30 am

27lbs 9oz on a shad head right in front of the I-280 bridge in a fog bank, took about 20 minutes to land him, when I set the hook he turned and ran toward the snag in front of the pillar taking out my drag like it was nothing, had to bull him out of the cover and after getting him to the boat (still hugging the bottom) I had to bull him out from under it several times but I finally got him to the top and let him flounder for about 5 minutes to tire him out completely so I could get him with my gaff hook.(Homemade from 1/4" steel rod NO barb to harm the fish) Weighed him, photographed him, entered the relevant data into my PDA fish log, marked the spot on my GPS and let him go

I caught 6 other fish too ranging from 1lb 3oz to 8lb 6 oz

Not too bad a night and that Flattie raised my average from 2lbs 8oz to 2lb 14oz

Gonna see if I can get me another tonight while the river is still up

2. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    great job keep it up.

3. Whiskeyriver

Whiskeyriver New Member

State:
    WA
    You gonna post a pic of that hog John?

4. King Flats W'loo

King Flats W'loo New Member

State:
    iowa
    i netted these two hogs below waterloo dam 35LB and 20 Lb:smile2:

5. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    I was in a tourny this weekend and saw a 25# flat weighed on a digital certified scale. Sorry, but it looked quite a bit bigger than those two flats there waterloo. Check your scale.:confused2: Still 2 nice fish. ( i dont fish for those flats) welcome to the site.

6. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I need to clean them up a bit first .... not the best pictures (The camera is built-in to my Pocket PC/phone) but good enough as PROOF for my other fishing buddies .... Seems like the only time I catch the Big Ones is when I'm by myself for some odd reason

I went out Tuesday night while I still could get on the boat ramp ... I tried fishing the side channel but there was way too much vegetation floating around so I went back into the slough by Credit Island and tried something I was told about a couple of years ago by one of the state biologists who is also an avid catfisherman when he gets the time .... He told me that if you get a chance and can get access when the river is flooding is to fishing in people's lawns, the catfish "graze like cattle" .... Normally this is done in the spring but since the river has been low all year there was plenty of flooded grass along the sides close to the mouth of the slough so I figured I'd give it a shot .... caught 14 nice ones totaling a tad over 40 pounds, only one small one and no junk fish (gar, sheephead) at all ... I was using shad I netted at the dock earlier in case anyone is wondering, it's about all I use for catfish other than sunfish for Flatheads

I want to get out there again but by the time this rain stops the boat ramp will be closed off .... I'm thinking seriously of stripping the decks and console so two guys can carry it to the water by the road and put it in ... We'd have to fish from lawnchairs as the seats are attached to the rear deck and front floor ... it's been quite a while but I've done that before with another boat and had a blast

Nice looking pair there King Flats, it's been probably 30-35 years since I fished there but my Grandpa used to take us up there every summer when we'd stay with him for a week or two .... Cripes it might not even be the same dam that long ago but it sounds like the fishing is still the same