Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed down to my spot on the Verde last night for a few hours just to see if they were awake up here yet. Myself and my dog were cruisin down the trail to the spot and were greeted by a 5 foot western diamondback, he was totally cool though. He gave a couple warning rattles when we were about 15 feet away to let us know. After I got a stick and ushered him off the trail and into some bushes we were back on our way. Just shortly after dark things started gettin busy but nothing would commit. At about 8:30 something slammed my pole sending the bell to make that bell splash that we all have heard and the fight was on. Got him up to the shore and it was the first flathead of the year for me running around 4 pounds. After pics with the cell phone he was released and the next pole went, it was another flat but only about a pound. Then over the hill comes a spotlight and the catfish were done, people shining their lights all over the water suck!!!! All I caught the rest of the night was a big ass turtle. All in all, it was good to finally break the ice on flats this year. Couple little ones but they are still flats!!! Both flats on worms and the turtle was on hog wild.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really is nice to be 10 minutes from home and catch flats, on the bigger end the flats are around 10 to 15. There are bigger and I have hooked them but the spots I fish are full of snags and I use bass poles to catch them here. I use smaller poles because of the smaller fish, sucks catching a 5 pounder on my "real" flat rigs, it makes it feel like your dragging a big crankbait..lol I will try some bigger baits with bigger poles this year, to be honest I have never really tried big baits because of the average size of fish here.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Congrats on the fish and the Effort,, I live close to the Dirty Verde as well, but, don't bother with it...all I've caught around here is Carp and Bullheads,,and, some other unidentifiable scaly swimmin creatures...
mebbe I should!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats on the fish and the Effort,, I live close to the Dirty Verde as well, but, don't bother with it...all I've caught around here is Carp and Bullheads,,and, some other unidentifiable scaly swimmin creatures...
mebbe I should!!!
You should never fish below the sewer ponds, there's unidentified swimming objects in there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Headed down to my spot on the Verde last night for a few hours just to see if they were awake up here yet. Myself and my dog were cruisin down the trail to the spot and were greeted by a 5 foot western diamondback, he was totally cool though. He gave a couple warning rattles when we were about 15 feet away to let us know. After I got a stick and ushered him off the trail and into some bushes we were back on our way. Just shortly after dark things started gettin busy but nothing would commit. At about 8:30 something slammed my pole sending the bell to make that bell splash that we all have heard and the fight was on. Got him up to the shore and it was the first flathead of the year for me running around 4 pounds. After pics with the cell phone he was released and the next pole went, it was another flat but only about a pound. Then over the hill comes a spotlight and the catfish were done, people shining their lights all over the water suck!!!! All I caught the rest of the night was a big ass turtle. All in all, it was good to finally break the ice on flats this year. Couple little ones but they are still flats!!! Both flats on worms and the turtle was on hog wild.
congrats on the catch rc.how did you get the name rajuncajun ? i'm from around the lafayatte La.area. just curious.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spent some time down in south Mississippi and fell in love with the place. When I came back to AZ I started building my first race car I asked my Dad what to call it and he replied "ragin cajun" so I did. When I started on the computer and it asked for a user name I figured it was a name I would never forget. I was in Waveland MS.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I spent some time down in south Mississippi and fell in love with the place. When I came back to AZ I started building my first race car I asked my Dad what to call it and he replied "ragin cajun" so I did. When I started on the computer and it asked for a user name I figured it was a name I would never forget. I was in Waveland MS.
that's cool,i don't know if you know this but' the university in lafayatte (USL) are the rajun cajuns thought you might have attended

·
Registered
702 Posts
Congrats on your catch it bets mine all to heck lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.