It's a sad, sad day!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Bullhead61, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Bullhead61

Bullhead61 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    It's over. Water temps down in the mid 40s and the flats are done biting here. I can't wait for spring. I sure had an awesome year though. Here's my story( if anyone cares). At 44 years old I bought myself a nice river boat. My local river's only a couple miles away. I've had a couple boats in the past and all I did was chase walleyes. Then I started a family, had a couple kids and did'nt seem to have time to fish much so down the road with the boats. Now my kids are both in high school and I figured it's time for a boat again. So In late May I bought one. I thought to heck with those finicky 'eyes, I'm going after cats. So during mid summer I fished chanels with cut bait. Ended up with 43 keepers(2# and above) with my biggest being 15#. That was on Sept. 14th. I knew the river had quite a few flats in it so I thought I'd give it a try. All live bait. Mostly suckers with a few 'gills. Well, from Sept. 14 to Oct. 13 I caught 16 flats and 2 channels for a total weight of 249#!! Channels weighed 19 and 11#. Flats were in order 23,13,9,15,13,8,13,8,11,15,7,14,11,14,25 and 20#. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect a year like this. All I can say is TO HELL WITH WALLEYES, I'M A CATFISHERMAN!! I'm also very glad iI found this board. You guys are awesome. Can't wait 'til spring!!!!

Bullhead

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Bill, Welcome to the BOC Brother!!!

Glad you crossed over to the Heavyweight section of fishing, LOL!!! Remember, those cats can be pretty finicky as well!!!!

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Welcome to the BOC!! Bill Glad to have you!!

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill, welcome to the BOC... my experience is similar to yours as far as the boat, etc. Where I fall short is the number of fish... my flats, in order are 0,0,0,0,0... for a total of 0...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't smoke the next cigarette. Repeat.

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Welcome to the BOC! These guys are great! And, some of the best family you can ask for! Ever in need or need a little boost the Boc brothers and sisters are there for you! Hope to see you at a few gatherings! gatherings are awesome and a have to,once you go, you will not want to miss another one!! Welcome aboard!!!

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC bill , glad you have seen the light but theres no reason you cant still walleye fish even out of a cat boat :lol: now get them younguns into cat'n to cary on a new family tradition

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome aboard. Always room for a new bro. They're right, these are some good people here at the BOC. Glad you had luck with the flats this summer. I didn't. All I could catch were dinky 20-40# blue cats. Ha,Ha. Maybe next year I'll get on the flats. I think they're done here too, but I won't know for sure till sunday.

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Welcome Bill! We're glad to have ya here. Sounds to me like you got ya one heck of a case of cat catching fever there. Time to go buy a bunch of new equipment and polish the old to pass time time till spring.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dont count out those flats in the winter.
    Locally there is some big flatheads posted over the winter out of the Neuse river. Its more of a common occurance then an uncommon one with water in the high 30's to high 40's.
    Just like bass fishing , alot of anglers hang their gear up for the winter but they miss out on some of the best lunker fishing of the year. These fish dont hibernate. They have to eat to sustain life. Their metabolism slows but they still have to swim particularly in current.
    your odds of catching big fish increases in the winter because its the bigger fish that have to eat more often to sustain.
    If my body wasnt so broken up and the cold wet weather didnt hurt me so bad I'd still be out there like I used to.

10. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Sounds like you need to plan a little road trip southeast!! You make the trip and I got the boat!

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC and congrats on making time for yourself. That is what it is all about brother. Next year will be here before ya know it.

12. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Bill, welcome to the BOC brother/neighbor that sounds like one heck of a cat fishing summer you had there. Where abouts you fish? St Croix, Mississippi? I have had a pretty good year on the St Croix this year myself, though I don't think it is over untill it freezes over. When that happens then it may be time to go drill a hole some where and try for some walleyes. Untill that day comes keep on cattin.

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Welcome to the BOC! You will love it here!
    Bill
    Indiana

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Hey Bill, Welcome to the BOC. You have a guy in Somerset Wis. by the name of John Lehto who pioneered the art of catching winter flatheads with jigs and crankbaits. I read about him in the JAN FEB MARCH 2000 issue of the Catfish In-sider from In-fisherman mag. He fishes the Wisconsin river. He hit on the tactic cause he was a walleye fisherman also. He kept catching flatheads while trolling certain areas for walleyes each fall. Then he flipped over to our side and started refining his techniques. You might not have to give up yet. He said in the article the bite gets better later in the winter when more flats are congregated in the wintering holes. You might want to look him up. If you gain any insight I would be an eager pupil. I haven't tried but once to jig winter flats with no luck, but I hate the cold LOL so I just keep dreaming about it.

15. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    Welcome to The BOC bro. I really enjoyed your story. I got started catfishing when I was actually fishing for bowfin. I caught a 9# flathead and dont think I've fished for anything else since (except for bait) LOL.

16. darklight825

darklight825 New Member

State:
    pa
    wish my year was half as good. great post

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Bill,Welcome to the BOC. Man I can only dream of having a summer like the one that you have just had.Seen some of that good luck down this way. Congrads on your great catches.

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Bill WeLCOME to the BOC. Man I wish I could of had a summer half that good. Sounds like you've got one heck of a spot there. At least you found this site so this will help pass the winter ,but don't think I'd give up the catfishin just yet.

19. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    great post I just wish I could of had just a good of the year. I just hope next year will be better. I'm buying me a small fourteen foot boat so maybe I can get out there and have some better luck.