It's a fish eat fish world out there...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BKS72, May 13, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    We put a 4" and 2" bass in the aquarium the other day along with a bunch of small minnows and a couple of minnows that would go around an inch. Already have an 8" blue and an 8" channel in the aquarium along with a small bullhead.

Small minnows all disapeared the first night.

Bigger minnows disapeared the second night, 4" bass had a tail sticking out of his mouth most of the next day.

Just noticed the 2" bass is gone and the blue has a very suspicious looking bulge in his gut.

In other words, no trick for the bass or the blue to eat fish 25% of their length (and probably bigger, just haven't put anything much bigger in there yet):big_smile: The bass the blue ate was probably between 10 and 20percent of his total weight as well. One more reason I laugh when people talk about cats being just scavengers. The channel and the bullhead tear the snot out of live food as well.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very interesting story. I doubt I will be using any 20 pound bait in the near future though!:smile2:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Me, either, I just think it's pretty cool how ambitious these fish are when it comes to eating:smile2: I'm looking at the blue now and he's sitting in the corner like one of us on the couch after thanksgiving dinner. I'm really thinking of putting a webcam or something on the aquarium so I can see these things as they happen instead of just the aftermath in the morning:big_smile:

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dangit, that means that there's 60# flatheads out there chowing down on all those 20# blues that everybody throws back. :smile2::smile2::wink:

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    We had an 8" bass in our aquarium one time and also threw in some left over goldfish that we had got for catfish bait. The goldfish were probably 5-6" long. Well we hadn't been able to get any minnows to feed Mr. Bass in a while so he decides to just eat one of those goldfish. He couldn't get it all the way in his gullet ofcourse and swam around with the tail sticking out of his mouth for about a week before finally croaking.

Trout are just as bad too. I've caught some dinky trout on Taneycomo using a big ol stickbait and targetting the lunker brown trout.:tounge_out:

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Well, I'm down to just catfish in the aquarium. I fed the cats and the bass on Monday before I left for Dallas for 3 days. When I got back, all that was left of the bass was his head floating around on top of the water.

I've noticed the blue and the channel kind of picking on him lately. Guess they finally got tired of playing and just flat out at him....:eek:oooh:

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    yep, Branden, that's why we say "if it ain't a catfish, it is just bait":smile2::smile2:

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Man that would have been cool to see. That bass was a mean sob, thats crazy that they ate him. probably got a taste from the other ones you put in there. Now them pellets dont look to appetizing.:smile2: I agree, you need to put a camera on them and post a link. We are waiting.:wink::smile2:

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Lol no kidding ? That's why you NEVER put predator fish with bait lol hmmmmmmmmmm hmmmmm good taste just like chicken lol

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i know flatheads eat bullheads, but i doubt they would eat anything they cant fit in their mouth. i have seen two channels that looked to be about 5 pounds each get into a fight over a piece of bread at a dock. the one had it in his mouth and all of a sudden another one came up and tried to grab it so he dropped it and they head butted each other and swam off