ITS 70 in my local waters where are the flattys going to be?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by walongtree, May 8, 2008.

1. walongtree

walongtree New Member

State:
    NC
    Not quite sure about the spawning temps. Where should I be looking for flattys when water is 70. Are thay still going to on structure in holes. Dont they run up river or the lake to spawn?

Dl

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I believe it's 75 deg. for the spawn.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    in my opinion it takes a good period of water temps in the mid 70's to actually lay down to drop their eggs. just because the surface water temp was 75 or 78 this afternoon doesn't mean they are spawning, also remember thats just the surface temp. if it gets a lil cold at night those temps will bounce right back down. also i think there is an upstream migration if in a river or a lake with a well defined riverchannel. here we've had water temps in the 70's( in the afternoon anyway) for a few weeks and i think it's getting close. they should be moving around good or some may already have a good spot picked out. They should be up along the banks more, in log piles, undercut banks are real good. these are just some of my thoughts on the matter, actually its hard for me to catch flatheads in the spring sometimes. I like fall better

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    As the water temp is approaching 65-70 here in western kentucky....we are finding the Flatheads coming in close to the bank at night. Live bluegils is the ticket!:wink:

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    In ohio water temp is around 60 degrees flathead slow no spawn structure very good place to look for them bluegill, greek chub and goldfish work for me rick