Italian bread

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Scott Daw, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    When I was a boy, mom used to make home made speghetti sauce. We used to also get a real good italian bread from the weis grocery store that had a hard crust but was soft and yummy on the inside. We couldnt have her ghetti with out some of this bread to eat with it. Now that Im all grown up I make the sauce for my family but I cant find this bread. I havent been able to since I moved to allentown. If I go to the best italian restaurant (caraba's), they make this bread fresh for you in their brick oven. Does anyone know what Im refering to and do you have a recipe that I can make it at home? I'll swap recipes with you.

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I know exactly what your talking about...it's hard to find. I am originally from CT and going to the bakery and getting hard crust italian bread was as common as buying milk. When I was stationed in Italy I was like a kid in a candy store, their bread is incredible!!! I don't have a good recipe, wish i did. I have come close with the bread maker but it's not the same. Closest i can find to itin a store is at Publix down here. I am suprised in PA that you can't find a good Italian specialty shop??

Good Luck Brother
    mike

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Scott Daw’s Family recipe Spaghetti Sauce

· In one pot, take 1 lbs hot & 1 lbs sweet Italian sausage and rinse off. Poke with fork several times and cover sausage in pan with water. Cook till almost done.
    · In another pot, Take 1 tsp. Olive oil and cover bottom of pot & 1 ½ lbs ground beef. . Once browned add diced or grated small onion, 1 tsp. Garlic salt, 1 tsp. Sugar, a 29 oz. Can of Contadina tomato puree and a 6 oz. Can of tomato paste and the paste can of water. Stir then sprinkle oregano and parsley to cover surface “until it smells right” per mom. Then add the sausages & cover stirring often. Simmer for an hour.

1 lbs hot sausage
    1 lbs sweet sausage
    1 tsp. Olive oil
    1 ½ - 2 lbs. Ground beef
    29 oz. Tomato Puree
    6 oz.tomato Paste
    6 oz. water
    small onion
    dried oregano
    dried parsley
    ½ tsp. Sugar