It seems the Dam Bait Store is no more!

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Sunburn, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    The Dam Bait Store at Seneca Lake (near the dam) has folded up their tent and gone belly up. Wife and I stopped there last night and I'm sad to say they are closed. The guy always had good live bait, cold pop, snacks, and a little tackle one might need. I hate to see him close up.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    My local baitstore is closing shop too. I feel bad. I hardly buy anything from them anymore. mainly cause I have everything I need and just need the occassional minnow/worm. They dont carry liver. They started feeling the pinch after the Hamburg PA cabelas opened up 45 minutes from here. Ive always ordered (hunting stuff) from cabelas but got my fishin gear local since they didnt have a large hunting section.

3. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I buy all my stuff from my local tackle stores, If they dont have it they will get it for me. Try to get walmart to do that for you!!!!

4. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    It's just that neither one of them is on the way to ANY of the lakes I fish most. They are "Backwater Baits" in Newport Ohio right along the Ohio River. And "Hornbecks Bait Shop" between Belpre and Little Hocking Ohio along Ohio Route 7. Both are run by first class folks that have dang near anything you could want and will order anything they don't have. If you're in the area, check them out. By the way, I have NO vested interest in either. Just bragging on friends and I see no harm in that. Thanks for your time.

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The big nation wide sporting goods chains, have made it hard on all the small "mom and pop" tackle shops. There is no way a local tackle shop can compete with the buying power of these giants.

Personally I buy from a local shop in Lake City KY. The owner fishes both for Catfish and Stripers so he knows what we need and keeps it in stock.

If you don't want to see the local shops close stop and talk to them, see if they will carry the gear you need. If they do or will start, then stop and buy it there. Also put the word out to everyone you know that this store carries what we need, because buying a little bait or a cold drink every now and then won't pay their bills.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Griz, you are right.
    I was once involved in a tackle shop.
    The light bill alone hovered around 1500 a month and that was 20 years ago.
    That shop was about a 1000 square feet.
    You cant do it without alot of regular customers.
    Takes alot of money to keep it open because you have to cater to a wide range of fishermen and species and having the coldest beer in town doesn't hurt. Coolers will drive a light bill sky high.

The small shops can compete but the bar has to be raised and you have to promote the "hangout" crowd.
    Some shop owners dont like folks hanging out but the most successful ones I've been around has a crowd of regulars in it most all the time and they'll have a lunch crowd.
    These people are the barometers. They let you know whats hot and whats not. Great to learn of new products coming out and what you need to start liquidating from inventory. They also work for free as salespeople. Sat back and watched a many a customer up sell another customer on a rod and reel or artificial baits. People come in to spend 30 bucks for a combo leave with a 80 dollar combo.
    Folks that were half interested left real interested after hearing these hang outs talk about the fish hitting in this lake or that lake or on the river.

We've had one small shop in Smithfield for years. I remember my dad dragging me into that hole in the wall when I was 5 years old to buy bait and lures.
    It's still in business. I've got lures that are 40 years old that were bought there. Some still in the package.

Got a newer higher class tackle shop in Smithfield now. He sells mid to top of the line equipment and some saltwater. He seems to be doing pretty good.
    I buy from both and a little of the everyday things from Walmart.
    If you dont see what you are looking dont walk out the door without asking if he'll get it or consider stocking it. Let these guys know whats going on down at the rivers and lakes because alot of them spend more time running their investment then they do fishing. As a shop owner it's easy to fall out of the loop.

7. jmaier147

jmaier147 New Member

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    I agree i have one bait shop that I go to atleast once a week most times way more than that. Its ran by an older couple they sell stuff cheap and u really get alot. I get minnows there alot for crappie fishin and you tell them a dozen and you will walk out with 2 1/2 dozen. I have told them that I will only go to their store cuz walmart dont even compare to them.
    if your ever in springfield stop on rt 4 at C and J bait shop they are great people.