It left me no choice

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by laidbck111, Nov 2, 2006.

1. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Tonight as I was leaving my house a pretty big possum came at me out of the dark all puffed and hissing. It backed me back up the stairs and into the house evn whan I threw a 16 ounce bottle of V8 at it and connected. So I went and got my pellet gun and shot it, dead. I have never seen a possum that agressive before and most likely would have let it be if I didn't think that thing would have messed with the wife and dogs. I do feel bad about killing it knowing I wasn't going to eat it but I don't feel guilty about protecting the wife and pups. Was I wrong? What would you have done? Please remeber I was on my way to work and he came after me and would't back down.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv done the same thing before and will again no doubt , protection of life and the life of loved ones comes before anything else

3. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    sounds like it might have been rabid,i think i would have done the same.just glad it didn't bite ya, or anyone else.

jerry

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As far as I'm concerned ya did the right thing.It could have had rabies and if so it needed putting dow.!:crazy:

5. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think you did good, Benji! Who would want a psycho possum hangin around the homestead?? Hope you can rest easy.

6. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    While not entirely impossible for an opossum to contract rabies it is extremely rare to come across one that is rabid.

Experts believe this is due to the low body temperature of an opossum. That is why they are not affected by diseases such as distemper, parvo, etc.

You do have to protect your loved ones and that includes pets Benji!

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Right choice! Now call "GRANNY CLAMPET" for that possum gravy recipe. LOL!

8. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    you did the right thing so dont be second guessing youself there brother you gotta look out for the family no matter what situation may be

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    That doesn't sound like normal behavior....would have done the same only with much more gusto...no pellet gun. Sure as heck wouldn't eat or handle it.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

My pellet gun is an RWS model 48 with about 1100 fps with a .177 caliber pellet. That thing has got a lot of power for a "pellet gun"

11. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    you did what you had to do,dont trust any aggressive animal especially around the wife or little ones and pets

12. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Caywood;
    YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!!
    No "If's", "And's", or "But's" about it!
    I too have an RWS 48 in .177 cal and have had to use it several times on "small problems" around here.
    I understand your "Sorrow", but I would have done the exact same thing that you did under the circumstances you described so please, QUIT WORRYING. You protected your "turf" and that is the way it's supposed to be!:wink: :smile2:
    Fraternally and Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

13. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    benji i would have done the same thing

14. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good morning Benji, you did the right thing for sure. I wouldn't have even thought twice about it. Your decision was a defensive REACTION NOT AN OFFENSIVE Action.:wink:

15. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Can't blame you but I wonder what it was protecting?
    Bill

16. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    You did the right thing, possums have a very nasty dispositions, and are known to be quite fearless. I let my lab out one night to do his thing and there was a possum on the back steps. As soon as he saw my dog he lunged, but Cujoe was a little faster that possum never new what hit him.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I agree with all the others.You did the right thing.

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    What??? You didnt CPR it? OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

Now how are we here on the BOC gonna know how big that marsupial land carp was?

I have to admit that if it were my home, tresspassing is a damnable offense.... All the worse if it tresspasses with an attitude. Them buggers used to break into my trash too often. I havent seen one in a while though- wonder where they went? :wink:

Heck at my buddy's house, he just lets out the two terriers and they take good care of the problem fast.... no playing dead there! :big_smile:

A good cure for solving a possum or coon problem is to give em something to drink- something like a can of coke and a spoon of fly malorin mixed together in a pie plate. Boy- they just love that stuff! Half the time they fall asleep right next to the pan! Not that I know. Nor do I know that Tractor supply sells red fly malorin by the jar. Nor do I know that you ought to keep other pets dfrom enjoying that lil concoction. Cause Ive never done it. Ever.

What Im getting at is this- Ya done fine. I can think of a worse fate for em.

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I thought about that while I was at work. So when I got home this morning I searched the front yard high and low. The only thing I found was an empty can of Alpo that had fallen out of the recycling bin. Didn't find hide nor hair of anything else other than "tree rats", rabbits, couple doe and one now burried possum.

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Killing an aggressive possum? I wouldn't give it a second thought.
    Must been something wrong with that one. I've never seen one of those aggressive even after getting trapped in the trash barrel. Probably would have used my 12 ga.

I shoot every armadillo I see around the farm.. them and those darn moles/gophers.