It is a beautiful and nuanced sport

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by sal_jr, Nov 13, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    As we close another year off from the tumultuous and sometimes uphill battle that is "Michigan Catfishing", and head off to the cold duldrums of ice fishing, outdoor winter sports, or staring blindly at the cleav- uh... television as Giada DeLaurentis prepares another Italian meal on Food TV, Let me remind you of why I cannot wait to get back out there in the cold early season in March and sniff out my first cat of '07:

Think about that time in the spring, ladies and gents: That first crackling steps onto the sticks and flotsam and jetsam that had accumulated at your riverside or lakeside spot through the high-ice and water times over the last months. The chilled bodies of wood snapping and crushing into newly de-iced clay mud. The little chickadees still singing out their telltale song of winter that permeate the woods around you: That two tone sound they make that almost remind you that theyre still cold too, and yelling out "feeeeeeet-hurt!" from the branches they've been clining to in ungodly wind and ice and chill for all these months as they went from house to house eating seeds and deer-fat hunks that people had generously hung up for them.

Remember when you're out there for that first time breathing the snappy air that you're continuing the cycle, just like all the flora and fauna around you: You're reborn into the new year of fishing as they are reborn into a new year of life, you're emerging from the chrysalis yourself- out of the tempestuous throes of cabin fever, months of shoveling snow and chopping wood and scraping the windshield at 5am and weeks upon weeks without direct sunlight. You've become a bloodless troll of sorts through the last few months and have the scratch marks on the back of your front door to prove how difficult winter had been to you... but all of that melts off as does the snow. And you spring forth into another season on that march day, as you have for years and years.

Your worries are nullified.

You need not step with caution as you may have during ice fishing season. You dont have to ponder your exstence with each crackle or pop of ice under boot as youve had to endure to get your fishing "fix" sated. You dont have to strike the ice for a half hour anymore to make a hole slightly larger than what you think you will catch, but much too small for the once in a lifetime fish you may have had to lose because your hole was not big enough. You dont have those problems any more- just draw the arm back and make that first chilly cast, and revel in the sound of your sinker breaking the surface with its welcomed "sploosh" once again. Amazing how great it is to hear that sound? Even more amazing how by next fall you'll take that sound for granted.

Yep, you're gonna be there in March... among the last of the disintegrating oak and maple and popple leaves of the previous year. Setting up your bank poles among burms of laying dead grass, glazed on the shade side by the occasional tiny pile of icy stuff that hasnt quite given up the ghost to the sun and debris that had log-jammed way high above the banks over these last months; amid the ebbing and flowing overgorging of a draining witnter past.

Nobody can take that first joy away from you, friends.... Nobody.

Do yourself a favor: Turn off your cell phone, shut off your portable propane heater, put out your cigarette, and breathe deep as you stretch your body out (once you have your poles set up). You've missed the crispness of spring and life and hints of chlorophyl in your nostrils for so long... You only get one quarter of one quarter of the year to enjoy the beginning of spring so soak it up cause you've put too many nights in at home waiting for this.

Regardless of your success that first time out for the year, rarely does one walk away without a grin on his or her face. When a person has the chance to reclaim their hobby and passion after a forced hiatus brought on by mother nature, you feel a sense of one-ness with the land again, with God again... you got that first taste for the year of coffee infused with sugar and a little night crawler entrails cause you accidentally dipped your thumb in the cup, you got that first click of monofilament snapping under the weight of your teeth as you gnaw off the excess from tying it all on. You got that primal urge to be a hunter/gatherer at the altar that is your bank spot... and the universe slowly lines itself to the right position for another season. You may not have caught any fish, and you may be sick of hearing that murder of crows off in the distance cackling, reveling, and welcoming the sweet carrion of winter yarding gone wrong and uncovered by ice-out... but by golly you got your groove back. You went Catfishing.

Im looking forward to it brothers and sisters. I know you are too.

Remember in these waning days of 2006 that your 2007 catfishing season will likely start in march in Michigan... sooner in other states... but nonetheless, that time (for now) IS your target. That is your day as black friday is for the holiday shopper and election day is for the politician. Gosh.. there are a lot of things a fella can do with himself, but few that match the joy of fishing for a gorgeous-whiskered-slimeball and unhooking it, admiring it, and setting it free to be your challenge again some time down the road.

God Bless.

I cannot wait till march, my friends. In the meantime, it is a pleasure to share this fish-less agony with you all.

Sal

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Gosh!We just seem to go from late fall to early spring down here in South East Georgia.We normally get none to very little of that stuff that you call winter.Some freshwater fish bite better and all will bite,though some are very slow.Great salt water fishing IF and when the water gets cold enough as different species migrate according to the water temperature more so than the seasons.Many of your former residents are now living down here enjoying all of this.We share.They keep telling me that I am going to leave a vacancy down here before long,though it may still be awhile.I do believe that you could fill it and fit right in.Our worst days have always been my best days as you sealy have it ALL to yourself.You all come on down.peewee-williams

3. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Sal it has barley got cold here and you have already got me thinking about spring! Thinking of the first tug the first sound of the alarm! Now i have four months to Waite THANKS SAL!

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Heh heh...

Yeah Don, Im gonna miss it too for the time being. I just did this so when March rolls around I can go back in the archive and use it to rejuvinate myself and the rest of ya for that first trip.

Take care buddy...

And dont forget... I dont hibernate! Ill be around all winter. If ya ever want to break loose for a day and brave the snow, well Ill be happy to meet up with any of the michigan boys... or Indiana guys if Im headed in that direction.

Sal

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    So,whats the difference between jetsam and floatsam?:big_smile: :big_smile:

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Flotsam is floating refuse and manmade stuff that was lost and floats on the water. Jetsam is stuff that doesnt belong there that people dispose of deliberately.

A shipwreck would deposit flotsam. A litterbug deposits jetsam.

Easy to remember- flotsam is stuff that floats away, jetsam was jettisoned away.

Theres the difference. :wink:

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Sal we will have to get together and do some ice fishing! As far as chipping ice forget that got a power auger

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Wow...
    I was just getting used to this colder weather, and now (sniff...wipe) I've got spring fever!
    Now I'm going to spend all day tomorrow on my hunting stool thinking about where to get quality bait in March. Do I have enough circle hooks? Better clean the reels and check the line...

Ahh, the anticipation is almost as good as the fishing itself. Just like the fun of roasting the turkey and wrapping the presents is almost as good as digging in...

Let us all take a moment to reflect on how richly we are blessed, give thanks, and say a prayer for those less fortunate.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!