It has only gotten worse

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Aug 25, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Guys I have had some bad stretched before, but never, ever, nothing like this.

I took my 14th straight skunking today, fished for 9 hrs.

In those 14 trips I have fished all areas that have produced big flatheads for me up to this year...

My bait is fresh, I am doing nothing different but it sure aint working.

I think it is time to hit new water, cause the old water aint getting it!

I did not even have a turtle bite today:sad2:

2. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Jack let me take ya to a spot Saturday evening...guaranty you'll catch fish:wink:

3. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    It's gotta start picking up here soon Jack. I know i've had a slower summer than i could have possibly imagined too so it's not just in your stretch of the river buddy. Might be time to scout out a few new holes though just in case. Maybe i'm crazy but i'm still convinced they're in there SOMEWHERE.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if my wife was not working and I did not have to watch the little one I would take you up on it.

I want to add this, this is the first year I have seen people setting trotlines in these areas, and they are setting them every night 7 days a week, I cant help but think it has put a hurtin on the fishery.

It is time to fish a new spot.

5. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Those trot-liners are probably reading this now jack...and guess what, they dont give a chit

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree Buddy, last year my main hole produced over 40 flatheads, with half of them over 20-lbs and 5 over 40lbs.

And all of these fish were handled with care and released right after a picture.

This year nothing.

7. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I feel your pain. It is important, and you've done so, to determine if it is self-induced slump or outside influence. Yes, it is possible to have a very quick affect on a fishery from constant havesting.
    FWIW, fishing in NE Kansas has off this year IMO. We've had a very cool season and cold rain to add insult to injury.
    I have learned to despise the saying "Their just not biting". I do not accept this as an excuse for failure. It's my responsibility to figure them out, usually by trying something I would not normally do.

8. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Seems like a rain followed by a cold front comes through S.E. Iowa about every 4 days. Then when I do get out on the Mississippi the pleasure boaters and bass boats got me rockin and rollin in their huge wakes all evening. I can't flathead fish in those conditions. I hope mid September to mid October most of those maniacs will be off the water doing something else annoying.

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Can't say too much about my fishing either. I've been on that skunking for 2 weeks an fish every night. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sence. Seen fish being caught during the day light hours an they were very nice size flats. I was catch shad the other day an a guy casted a couple night crawlers out not 60 feet from me an within seconds I'd say he caught a 25lber. Gonna have to go back to the roots an fish along a bank I've had great success with by using a lighted bobber only no other lights an see if that may help.

10. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    keep at it jack,it will break sooner or later, i think all of us are smelling the same skunk:crazy::crazy::crazy::smile2: