It Figures

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Kip Brandel, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Hit the field at about 5:30 this morning, the first day of modern gun season!! The fog was so thick I could have been standing in the middle of an elephant heard and the only think I would have known was they smelled! A guess would have been 10-15 feet of visibility! It finally lifted about 2 hours later and I had about 50-75 yds of view. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow!

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I know how you feel Kip. I hunt on the river and fog can be a big problem.
    Maybe tomorrow will be better.

3. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The worst part is the last 7 days have been crystal clear in the morning! Oh well it was still nice to get into the field.
    Funny how it happens isn't it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My luck ran like that last week. I finally got a couple days off from building a roof because they were calling for "a slight chance of rain". I figured I'd do some muzzle loading the last couple days of the season. Instead we got 3 inches the first day and 5 1/2 inches the next. Several roads were closed and I couldn't even get to my hunting spot.

5. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Yea, today was CRYSTAL CLEAR but there was NOTHING moving other than birds. Yesterday even with the fog in my area it almost sounded like a battle was going on with all the gun shots. Today I heard 1 in 5 hours. I am going try during the evening the next few days.

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Patience, "grasshopper", patience!! You'll get it done....:wink::smile2:

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Two years ago we were saying that to you, Roxie. Now the result is hanging on your wall!! LOL

8. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    If I hit the field every day all season long and don't see a deer it is still a good season. I love this time of year and I am usually just busy enough not to get to enjoy it much. If nothing else it gives me time to sit back and enjoy what Mother Nature has to offer. I think the irony is funny though. Thick fog the first morning, nothing moving in the fields the next morning with clear weather and not seeing anything all day BUT when I went out to feed the animals last night I find fresh deer tracks all around my barn and it is only about 100 ft from my house.

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ken was telling me to have patience last year . As I am not a real horn hunter that wasn't the problem . Last day of gun season I killed 2 does Which is fine with 3 youngens in the house ! Hang in there ! There is still time !

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    You can boil those antlers all day long, and they still taste like crap!

11. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I never have had much luck on opening weekend.I think it is because af all the new activity in the woods.The deer seem to settle down more as the season comes to a close.

12. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    We seem to have just the opposite effect here. After the third day of gun season, deer get mighty hard to find. I usually switch tactics from sitting on stand to spot and stalk or kicking brush and jump shooting them.

13. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Most areas are like that any more.My farm is small only a little over 100 acres but it is surrounded by other hardwood land that range between 200-500 acres.There is only three roads that go outside this 1100 acres and mine is almost in the middle.The deer seem to congregate towards my woods.It was selectively logged with nothing smaller than 15 inch in diameter being cut.That was almost 16 years ago it really has helped there are still open ridges but the hollows have lots of thickets.The deer seem to find safety there.I am also in the minority when I say that I have the best neigbors that a person could want.None of the farms have more than 3 people hunting it and they do not shoot up the woods.We also have the westvaco timber company land that is at the end of one of the roads , as soon as the hunters start moving in the deer move across the road towards us it seems.It also helps that my adjoining neighbor has the only crop field around.lol

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I thought Westvaco went to private lease of what woodlands they owned ? I used to hunt a tract in Crittenden co. I have seen some tracts that I know where Westvaco owned that were posted . Anyhow glad you got good neighbors I hunt in Caldwell co and saw a deer shot and left on us Yesterday that me nor my father-in-law shot .:angry:

15. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Yes westvaco has gone to lease in trigg county as well , but they leased several small tracts to several hunters.There appears to be more hunters now than when you simply bought a permit and hunted anywhere.The amount of "lost" hunters has gone down though.Used to you would have to run off a couple every year.Yes all my neighbors look out and after each others property.Luckily one neighbor is retired and he drives to his tract every day , he always lets me know about anything out of the ordinary.

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Lucky you ! We lost two really good bucks we were growing or let go for a couple years only to have someone shoot them from the road a friend of my father got the license number and reported it and he never got his report a poacher money so I think it was swept under the rug .:angry: A game warden now retired lives not a 1/2 mile from the farm so I don't get it ? We don't have a problem with wonderers just road shooters ! Notice I said shooters not hunters .

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    keep at it kip. a few days so far have been really foggy. one morning last week i was sitting in the fog listening to pigs tear stuff up. i was sitting on the side of a rocky hill choked out with dry brush so i couldn't move. then yesterday morning i was sitting on a bluff freezing my butt of when i heard what i thought was some fool rattling horns behind me about 50 yards. later in the morning when i got up i noticed there was never anyone there, and went to investigating. found where two bucks where fighting right behind a wall of mesquite, not 50 yards away. just remember, it's the near misses and maybes that make up the majority of hunting. hopefully all the shooting you heard was folks tagging out, giving you more room!