It could be said, could it not:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Dec 16, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What, if anything, is wrong with the following statement? The statement could be applied to some other things in our life. Would this statement be considered a joke? The truth? A funny way of poking at you to get your hair up? Is it just PostBeetle frass to stir the pot as some say I try to do occasionally. Maybe it is just a way to have an excuse to buy a BOC hat and pocketless T-shirt. Maybe a way to get away from the wifey. How does it apply to you officiandos of fishing, and how are you going to rebut me?

"I used to go fishing until it struck me: You can buy fish, what are you doing in a boat at four-thirty in the morning? If I want a hamburger, I don't chase and kill cattle."

My answer to myself is "I throw everything back I catch, so I must be out here for the beer."

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Beetle you just have to ask tough questions and make some of simple folk strain our pea till it is gonna pop dont you ? I went off the deep end 4 years ago...bought a boat.....poles and even a licence and off to the river again after not fishing for a few years and Realised that I am just a Missippi River Rat and on the water is my refuge....Heck I dont care if I am catchin fish but it makes the experience more pleasurable ofcourse and them big ones to brag bout are real nice too.
    I cant use the river to get away from the missus either cause she told me shed pull the plug on my boat if I was ever out and I didnt meet her at the docs to get her when she got off work so I realised that I am not gonna be able to shake her either so as one hand washes the other..Shad guts all over my fingers........big monster kitty on the end of my line and pole bent to the water I am holding on fer dear life and enjoyin it as much as I can........
    I am a addict and the river is my meeting:wink: now I need a beer

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Being it took you 62 years to figure this out.I cannot think of one single thing to help you friend.You have said it all about postbeatle.

Are you throwing everything you catch back because Nancy won't clean them,you don't catch enough to eat,they are not of legal size or you don't catch enough to want to be seen with them?

Hey.I am not knocking you.I was wondering why you called yourself postbeatle.Now I know.It is because of the voids that they leave in a solid looking piece of wood.No wonder I can relate to you so well.:wink:

Sorry about the heartbreak caused by the ice storm.I have been there and seen many years of my hard work destroyed in a few days by ice as you have.:sad2:

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee ps,is you having Chitterlings and Okra for Christmas dinner?

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mr PeeWee Williams, a respectful reply to an honest question.

As I get older and the length of the string is close to getting to the knot, for a lot of reasons, life and living have an extra meaning. That goes for the creatures we inhabit the earth with. I have removed more than my share for greed, or sport or ignorance or just the fun of killing something. As I wrote a number of months ago. "I just don't do it anymore." someplace over in Becky's Storytelling.

I just do not need to do it anymore, 'cause I have and I have nothing to prove to anybody.

Love ya PeeWee, would sit in a boat or under an Old Live Oak any day of the week with you. If I could just get you to shutup so I could talk too. LOL. John.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    With the way things are goin we may all be better off chasein that steer or hog when we want a burger or chops. LOL! Next ya will be tellin me chocolate milk don't come from brown cows.:crazy: I fish for lots of reasons and table fare ain't one of em. The company thats with ya is very important. Due to the fact that they can't walk away. LOL! That and the anticipation of whats gonna take your bait. Up here it could be a body or a piece of furniture. And then there are always the "WHITE FISH" LOL!

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Fishing is my relief valve, my drug of choice, my refuge. It is one of the few things in life that gives me total peace of mind. By myself, or with friends it is my haven. Call it the thrill of the hunt, call it what you will. When the day comes that i can no longer sit under the stars on a warm summers night, waiting for the cat of a lifetime, you might as well bury me. Catching is just a bonus, being there is what matters. Years ago i made my wife promise that the only thing i wanted on my tombstone was my name and the words--Gone Fishing.

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I like to fish mainly to just get away from everything. Work around the house,telephones,(hard to do anymore.) I figured out a while back that if a person doesn't take some time to do the things they want they'll never do them.Everyone is just to busy now days.
    Don't reallly care if I catch anything (but it's nice when you do)I enjoy the peace,quite,and the great scenry the good Lord has given us to enjoy if we just take the time to enjoy it.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Ain't it nice when you get to the stage you just enjoy going and you enjoy watching others have a good time?

I might surprise some of you folk.I have enjoyed many a hour in silence just being around someone I liked.

My friends just say "Shut up" when they have enough of my mouth.That is one of the nicer things they say to me.

Now that the sun breaks out my cancers on my skin,just going into the yard is a treat.I do wish that I lived on the river where I could spend my nights on the bank.

I have no complaints.I have spent and done my share and many others.

I was looking in the mirror today.It scared hell out of me that I am so ugly.I hadn't looked in years.Once in a lifetime was enough until today.I had to take two nitros it scared me so bad.I noticed that my nose is looking bad.Be just my luck that it will fall off now that Halloween is past.The story of my life.If it wasn't for my Diabetes I could be a drunk.My nose already looks like I am a drunk and I ain't drinking.

I got 270 lbs.of hurt that has been giving me a fit for about 30 hours now.It is starting to try my patience.

What am I thinking?I can do anything that I want to without worrying.I got a bottle of Old Crow and a RC Cola.It seems to do a lot more for my pain than the Morphine.

Heck.I could even tell ol King George to shove it and laugh at him all the way to Guantanamo.They probably couldn't get but one chance at water boarding me.I would sure be a disapointment to him.

You need to try that Chitterlings and Okra for Christmas dinner.It would be remembered long after you are gone!

I love you all.Merry Christmas.peewee

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    When you reach our age bracket and the game of life has just about been done, then it is time to enjoy the simpler things in life. As was said, the company, and their inability to get away from us on a boat or the anticipation of the next catch. I enjoy fishing if I am with anyone or alone.
    The infamous saying comes to mind when I read this post.

The youth of life is wasted on the young.

10. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Mr Beetlejuice,

As usual, you strain the brain on an old lady with very little effort. You really should have been a sociology or philosophy professor.

Why? That is a question that we start asking as children. Long about four years old or so it becomes the most used word in the child's language.
    Now "WHY" is that?

As far as fishing... I've asked the very same question about chasing a little white ball around a yard with sandpiles and ponds. What the heck is the point? And the one where they run up and down a wood floor chasing and bouncing a big round ball only to throw it away soon after they gain possession of it. Back and forth back and forth....what is the point? You get the idea.

My philosophy on my personal enjoyment of fishing:

I believe it started out as a "you can't do that, you are a girl" thing. I had to PROVE to myself and others that Ms Prissy here could do it. And I did...by myself. Ticked me off that noone would help me. Then I had to do it again, to see if I could do it easier.
    I'm telling you, just learning to load a boat and be able to say "Nope, don't need yer help" was like "WAY COOL" to me. Heading to the lake, I'd have to take me a couple tylenol for the stress related headache I'd aquire worrying about how I'd do this or what I'd do if that.
    After a while, the headaches stopped. I'd proven what I wanted. I would feel relaxed driving toward the lake.
    Then...

I had to prove I could actually catch fish. Yes.. I can. And I've managed to prove I can catch them as good as or better than most men. Now, that isn't to say that I've caught a 54 lb flat head or something I had to have a crane to take my picture with. BUT... IF I wanted to prove I could, I could.

Somewhere along the line of proving that I, as a lady, "could" do it, I started enjoying the extra ingredients in the trip. The lack of someone yelling "Mommy, I want" "Honey, I need" answer the phone please, no I dont' want to buy/donate/work/participate/talkto or otherwise mess with...
    I don't have laundry,dishes,dust,vacuuming,scouring or otherwise "ladylike" duties that can bother me out there.

My fishing trips can be many things.. Solice, fun with the kids, challenging myself and or others, or just plain soaking in of the great beauty of nature all around me.

Ok, I guess I've said enough. I could go on and on here as you can see. There is so much more to "You can buy fish, what are you doing in a boat at four-thirty in the morning? If I want a hamburger, I don't chase and kill cattle."

Thank goodness I haven't decided I wanted to prove myself as a cowgirl! :smile2:

Gotta go now, Santa is at the Mall at 2pm. I need to get a few things straight with him.

11. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    If I were to fish or hunt for the "bragging" rights or to put food on our table I would be the thinnist hermit ya ever met.I'm out there freezing my can off because that is where I find peace and enjoyment
    When I wake up at 4:00 in the am. and it is 28 degree's outside I sure sometimes wish I had not told a friend we would meet at the lake,but he is my buddy and I dont want to ruin our friendship.
    I guess it is all about the memories we make, the contentment we find and the things that are still to come that keeps me outdoors.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    mr.postbeetle you took the long way round to ask me a very simple question why. im gonna cut my answer short and ask you why not.

13. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mr Johnnie "Loft Keeper" that is not fair, it's my thread and I am the only one who gets to ask questions. Now you put me on the spot. Why didn't you ask George, he's the "Night Blade"?

"Who are we to reason how or why, it is just ours to fish or die"

If I couldn't fish, I might as well be dead. Guess for all the philosophical questions that is how I got to answer it. I do like my beer while I am fishing, but as you and others well know the list is endless as to how's and whyfors.
    Where else ya gonna have fun while having fun.

And pigeons don't fly over my head so much, maybe gulls but no pigeons.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There's times I just have to wish I was fishin,then theres times I actually can go fishin. in the times of limbo ,I'm glad this wonderfull place exists. friends,family,the outdoors and the BOC.

15. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When you're lookin' for a beer, are ya beatin' around a Busch...:smile2::smile2:

16. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    If we keep talking bout it, they gonna tax it out of our reach. Then the'll be "step" programs for ya...a mentor to smell ya for tell tale odor of bait...a number ta call anytime night or day when the urge is too great. For God's sake keep quiet! It's one of the few things we got left.
    :smile2:

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey addicts goto meetings and we have the BOC:wink:

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    OHHHH and Beer to:wink: