It begins...

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by slikwiska, Nov 17, 2009.

1. slikwiska

slikwiska New Member

State:
    northern IN
    As the water temp slides into the mid 40's in my area the time for vertical catting has begun. Some fish have started showing up in the basins and deep flats in a couple of local lakes where I know this to occur. With the trolling motor I cruise across these areas looking at my depthfinder ready to drop a baited jig on any mark near the bottom I see. The trick is to get directly over the fish so the depthfinder picks up my lure and the fish. This way I know I'm close to the fish, I can see if and how it is reacting to the bait and prevents me from wasting too much time on a fish that either won't bite or might not be a catfish. Sunday I was able to coax 2 fish off the bottom. A slow start but I know this pattern will only get better as the water gets colder. Look around...there is probably a cat lake near you where this is or will happen. Don't miss this hot cold water action. I love this time year and I'm glad to know, for me,....it begins...

2. catdaddychad

catdaddychad New Member

State:
    indiana
    good job tommy. I've never tried jigging for cats. If sometime you want to try this on Witmer lake I would like to tag along and see what I can learn. I know of a couple good holes that hold fish this time of year.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    and those cats will be there under the ice for ya to catch all winter too!:wink: tip-ups with small chunks of _______..... plus move and jig chunks. other species like chunks:wink: too so you never know what youll get.

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
  5. Capt.Kirk

Capt.Kirk New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just wanted to say thanks for the videos,and the music
    Some Body Loves You,is the singer George Straight????:big_smile: Capt.Kirk

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I caught a nice flattie jigging a minnow near the bottom the other day, and talked to some other guys who loaded up on channels and blues jigging in deep water last week...man do they hit hard!!!:big_smile:

7. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Been flat Killing the Blues in my area and them Bad boys are hitting Hard.Mostly on skipjack.Good Luck and Tight Lines :wink: