"IT" 12/05/09

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by samh, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think I have seen him in your posts three years now. Old boy must be getting on in life and smart enough to not get clipped.:big_smile:

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Been get'n pictures of him for 5 1/2 years and he was mature in the first ones, so I figure he's at least 8 years old and could be older.

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats awsome has the rack been better the past few years

4. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Nope, the rack hasn't changed very much since the first picture, never sheds, not even the velvet. The body, on the other hand, has changed a lot. He's by far the largest bodied deer around here. The Doe in the picture with him is a very large deer for this part of the country and he's a lot bigger than her. He looks big and thick in the pictures, but I saw him last week in the head lights of my truck and got to within 20 yards of him, he's big, looks even bigger in person that on the camera.

5. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    any offspring ?

6. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Not likely. Showed pictures of him to the AGFC deer biologist and one of my best friends is a large animal veterinarian and they both agree that he's most likely sterile, that's why he never sheds, not enough testosterone. Most folks say that it's caused by a buck being castrated, but my vet buddy says that would really be a rare case for that to happen in nature, he says it can also be caused by a hard blow to the head, like from a car. If they're hit right it can damage the pituitary glad, that in turn regulates the production of testoserone. Could happen either way, but he figures more have head injuries than get casrated.

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    If that was on my property I would throw out some corn for him, kinda like feeding the elderly in a hospice!:big_smile: Besides if you did shoot him, it would be the first deer you ever butchered that was already deer jerky...:0a30:

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    He's been around here so long, he's become the farm mascot and he knows where the feeders are. These last pictures were taken about 150 yards behind my house.

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Sam! Thanks for the update on "It"; I've been wondering about him. Man he's getting fat! And his neck looks all swollen, too! Hmmm?? I hope when it's his time, he dies of old age...
    Those deer sure have heavy coats on them; cold already, huh?

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sam, maybe he's like the one I got last year that swings both ways; a hermaphrodite. that one had a weird set of antlers, too. What do you think? Is it possible?

11. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I was kinda thinking the same lines. In Arkansas, one of my uncles buddies killed a doe that had antlers in velvet WAY late in the year. They cut it up for smoking so the hams and shoulders were not deboned but cut up an wrapped we put almost 200lbs in the freezer. She was HUGE! A friend got a deer that year, an 8 point that when ready for a shoulder mount the neck roast weighed a little over 28lbs and that buck was only a little larger than the doe with antlers.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for the pics Sam. Quiet unusual.

13. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is a huge bodied deer:eek:oooh: I have heard that sometimes that bucks can get castrated by jumping fences:crazy::eek:oooh:. They always have some weird antlers