Issues with Surge rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by DTro, Sep 16, 2007.

1. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    This spring I purchased 2 MH Surge Rods from a local bait shop. One spinning and one casting.

On the spinning rod I had an eye break off (the circular part broke off of the support).

On the casting rod there is a pronounced camber at the tip.

Am I out of line thinking that I should be able to get more than one season out of these rods?

BTW, I love them and caught PLENTY big fish this year.

Is there any type of warranty? Has anyone else had issues? How about customer service? I tried calling Tombstone Tackle once and couldn't get through.

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    the eyes on my rods are crooked but I love the action of the rods and they over all are excellent rods. Keep trying adam, he usually will take care of any problems. The new elite series are really nice with new metal reel seat but are stiffer poles, the original medium heavys are perfect for flatheads.

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I bought a MH Surge rod back in June, and it is literally falling apart. I would like to contact Tombstone Tackle just to see if there is any kind of warranty. I am not having problems with eyes or anything like that, maily the reel seat. The back reel seat isn't metal reinforced. I have a 25 lb blue cat break the seat and pull the reel away from the rod while fighting a fish. Not to mention the trigger broke also. I still use the rod, but I have a clamp holding my reel also. If you guys find out anything about warranty, let me know.

4. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, sorry to hear your having problems with your rods! I had a Surge "original" mh with the trigger break in between the last eye and the tip like a match stick! I got a hold of Adam and he sent a replacment! I then sent him the broke rod.....no problems(I did pay the difference and get an "elite" for the replacment) I now have 5 "elites" and 1-original w/trigger. So, time will tell, but it takes a special rod to throw 8-12 oz's of weight not counting a BIG chunk of bait! I would suggest to keep trying Thombstone and let them know what happened. Let us know what they say...Im curious how they handle the situation, but they did take care of me...I just hope that I dont have to call them again for something thats not in my control!:embarassed:p.S Make sure that if you use those BIG weights, that when your moving around on the waters you fish that you DONT let the weights swing around banging on the rod blank!!:wink:

5. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well just an update here.

In Nov I blindly sent both rods back to Tombstone with a letter and a $25 check to cover shipping charges.

It only took about three months, but they fixed the spinning rod and replaced the casting rod.

I was very happy that they did this for me, and I'm glad I wasn't in a hurry:eek:oooh:

6. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Darren, glad to hear that Thombstone (Adam) took care of you! I just hope mine hold up! So far the "Elites" have been fine!:wink:

7. aldubin

aldubin New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey Darren, What local bait shop did you purchase those Surge rods from?
    I live in Prior Lake, MN. Thanks

8. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have used Surge rods for the last 4 years, and have had good luck with them,, had a eye break on a older one last year, no problem about fixing it, Adam takes care of customers. have 2 elites and really like them had them about a year. good rod for the money. The eyes problem really fall at the feet of eye manufacturer, the guy building the rod, has to go on their say. until he learns better. had a custom rod built payed 240. for it, most of the inserts on eyes fell out, 50. dollars, later had rod back and a mad blue decided, to break it. in junk pile now. I'll take the Surges or one of the other rod makers on the Boc. built foe catfish
    Jim

9. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    i also have 2 elites and the eyes do not line up with the reel seat and the reel seat fittings keep coming loose .there should be a o ring on it but there isnt. i cant find a address or a website for tombstone to get them fixed or replaced.i was going to gfet a med hvy action but after hearing your issues ill get another elite rod .im glad to hear im not the only guy who had a problem with eyes not lining up.

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sounds like a lot of problems with the Surge rods. Do yourself a favor and call Tom Knox of The Rod Shop and check into his high quality rods with a lifetime guarantee!

http://www.therodshopkc.com/default.htm

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have a few surge. i am starting to not like them very much, i too have had a few break. i don't think they are very sensitive. i have a hard time feeling the bottom of the river when i try bait walking. with the tigers i can feel what my sinker is hitting whether it be sand or rock i feel it throughout the rod.

12. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jason, do you have the "elites" or the "trophy" series with the triggers? The "elites" with the eyes that dont match up, you can GENTLY rotate the reel seat and make things line up perfect! If you still have questions just get in touch with me and Ill give you Adams # or have him give you a call. I do like the "elites" better, because of the reel seat (the "trophy" series is plastic and will split). Hope this helps!:wink:

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just bought a m.h. elite. I also noticed it's hard to get the reel lined up with the eyes. after a little tinkering, i got it right. But, it sure does look purdy with that brand new chrome rocket mounted to it..

15. Ole Muddy

Ole Muddy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Cuz im with ya there my friend I have a fleet of them myself. I dont think ive got one broke but probally should have the way i treat them. I did break one a couple of years ago, but Adam replaced it. Nothing wrong with a surge rod in my book wish I had 10 dollars a hour for every hour Ive set an staired at them :eek:oooh:.

16. Bullhead-Bob

Bullhead-Bob New Member

State:
    MN
    Aldubin, I think the number you are looking for is (612)861-7412

17. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad i found this post. I was thinking about getting a couple. I've got 2 war rods which are beasts hands down and two trophy cat rods that i use in heavier current. Don't think they make the trophy cats anymore but they have been great for about 10 years.

18. Brad Korte

Brad Korte New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have three Trophy cat series rods. I love these things. Very strong rods. I checked the eyes when i bought them. I put one back that had the eyes crooked. But the ones i bought have stood up great. Ill be watching the eyes now that ive read these posts. I live close to Tombstone tackle. Great shop. They take care of the clients they have, from personal experience. Hope not to see them with any of these issues

19. Barillms

Barillms New Member

State:
    Steubenville OH
    Boy... It sounds like these things are JUNK!! Kinda sad a company would have such awful quality control. I'll never buy one after reading this!!

20. Wildwv

Wildwv New Member

State:
    Wv
    I have 2 regular Trophy Cats and one Elite, only issue I see so far is the quality of the wraps on the Elite.. They are just done extremely poor with gaps between some of the threads and very thin compared to my other cat rods even the standard Surge..