Isn't 60 the magic temp?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Vector, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    :eek:oooh: I was out on one of the local small lakes today, and the surface temp was reading 62 to 64. I usually catch my most flats out of big water when its 59 or 60.

Is this right? Isn't water temp a big trigger?

If this is the case, I need to get my trailer fixed NOW and get out there! :eek:oooh:

I won't be catching big flats on the big water for almost another month! :eek:oooh:

Vector

2. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I think water temps can be a trigger but I also think it's relative to what part of the country you live in. Water temps are in the low mid 60's now but may go into the 80's by late summer. While some big fish can be caught now, a lot more action and numbers of bigger fish come late in the season. At least that's the way it seems to me here in the desert southwest. Tight lines.

:cool2:

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    60 degrees around here means all the fish are out and about. It's the Pre-spawn, they move around and cover more area now than any other time of the year. The males are looking for spawning sites to defend, and the big females are looking for the baddest males who are guarding the best spawning sites. WIN WIN.

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are starting to turn on in my area as well......

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    its time brother go getum!

6. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    Man! I better get these tired fixed on this trailer and get out there!

Vector

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If your snoozing your losing. Now is the time to get after them.

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    most big flatties will be more active in warmer water. mid to hi 70's. while you may still seing some big ones being caught in cooler water you should be able to locate a few in spawning areas, such as rock piles, root wads, etc. that's your best bet this time of year to catch a bigger fish.

9. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    long time waiting but damn its here, the next 5-6 days the highs are in the mid to low 80's and the lows are in the low 60's. the river right now is 55 so that only means one thing pre-spwan!!!:smile2: i don't plan on seeing the old lady for a good week...lol...justin

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It's time to hang the Gone Fishing sign on the door. From now till about mid to late June should be hot fishing action.

11. Rebel986

Rebel986 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I went last weekend down here in AZ, I was unsuccessful but earlier that day a guy caught a 26# flattie around the area i was fishing. Im planing to head out next weekend. Last trip I drove my truck down on a river bottom dried out.. but there was tons of river rock... needless to say i went to turn around and hit a huge rock and was stuck for about 15 mins till i finally managed to get out lol. :angry: Im buying some new tires this weekend, fresh for off roading:wink: Go Get em yall!

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I am catching them during the day in southern Indiana but have not been targeting them. I believe the fall temp is best for monster flats. But the flats have turned on so I believe its time for some night fishing. Good luck to ya.

13. chrisgerow12

chrisgerow12 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I think a night when the surface temp. is 55-65

14. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I've been waiting for this since October. I want a monster this year. I just may get it. I'll have fun trying that's for sure.

15. Vector

Vector New Member

State:
    Midwest
    Well.....I should get out this coming week. I've got a friend going to help me get my boat up and going this weekend!

Vector

16. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I like 69 to 74 - spawn time - around the rocks with green eared sunfish (predater to nest) they'll hit them hungry or not - this is the prime time for me in Kansas:roll_eyes: Also do well in the outlets on jigs and sassy shads!!