Islands & Sandbars on Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by fabius_river_rat, Apr 20, 2007.

1. fabius_river_rat

fabius_river_rat New Member

State:
    Northeast Missouri
    Are there any decent islands or sandbars to camp/fish on the mississippi between Quincy Dam & Hannibal. Can a person get in any trouble camping on them?............also I'm trying to get 10 post on here......

2. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I DONT KNOW OF ANY, BUT KEEP UP THE POSTING I'M WORKING ON 10 MYSELF. AND SO FAR EVERYBODY BEING REAL HELPFUL. I TOLD ALL MY FISHING BUDDIES AND THEIR GOING TO JOIN SOON ALSO. SO HAVE FUN ,AND WELCOME ABOARD:smile2:

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
  4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

Welcome to the BOC Guys. Glad to have you on the board. This is the best catfishing site their is. Period..... I think you will be safe on the sandbars. I've never had any problems. You can even camp on the state/government refuges if you dont pitch camp past the vegetation line. Right now, there isnt very many sandbars showing, but will be in due time. Not sure about bars between Quincy and Hannibal. I'm sure there will be someone along that will know. Glad to have you guys.

5. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There are several islands located between Hannibal /Quincy. We usually spend the night in the boat but no problem camping as I've seen several do it at below Hannibal.

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    If you're on the MO side of the Mississippi you're are legal below the high water level on the sand bar around an island. Above the high water level, you are automatically guilty of first degree trespass if it is private property. Be careful on the IL side of the river. The prosecutor of Calhoun County charges trespass for being on the sand bar around a private island. Probably not really legal, but counties have a wide leeway in such matters.

7. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Take a moment to read the post linked above. I started it and got lots of both do's and don'ts on what to do, and also got to hear a lot of good memories about nights spent on the river.

8. fabius_river_rat

fabius_river_rat New Member

State:
    Northeast Missouri
    thanks for the info everyone..........hope to meet some of you guys this spring out there on the Mississip.........