Island Park, 40lb Flathead Catfish on 6lb test.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Mr. Foster, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Those famalier to Winfield Ks know about Island Park, those who dont, its a lagoon the shape of circle where you can cross a bridge and drive in a circle around the park. Pretty nice park. I usually go there jus to catch perch. Lots of trees around the water and in the water from broken branches, to many snags for me. Anyways I saw in the paper Friday some guy caught a 40lb flathead on the West dock with 6lb test on a little Zebco. Took him 25 mins to land then he had to have help getting out of the water by a passer by. Then some other passer by asked if he could have it, so he gave it to the guy. He planned on grilling it he said. If were me I would of put it back in the water and watched the look on peoples faces as I did it. Sorry had to vent. Ive heard a couple stories about some that big, but didnt believe it till I saw it. Im sure someone put it in there from the river at some point in time. Heres a pic, jus thought I would share. Kinda a odd event. It didnt say what he was useing for bait? Probably a jig, that sounds about right. :smile2:

Attached Files:

2. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    I used to drive by there all the time when I lived in Ark City,,,only thought it was a good kids perch jerking pond and mosquito hatchery....you are probably right...transplant fromt he river, but could there be more and did they spawn...surely not....:eek:oooh:

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    You would be suprised how many big flats are in there. People have been putting them in there for years. I myself caught one there aroud 40lbs. Plus a handful of small ones. Yes some have spawned in there, cause I have caught 10inchers on r/r and smaller ones in my cast net. There are some big channels in there also.

Later,
    Chris

4. flattymatty

flattymatty New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Don't have much of a comment on this one. Stranger things have happened fishing i guess. Bottom line is....it's 3a.m., i gotta get up early in the morning to go check lines, i'm tired, so here it is......post #10!:0a33:

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Speaking of cast nets, that place sure can eat em up. :sad2:

6. outdoorsaddict

outdoorsaddict New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Years ago I was driving through there and saw an old man fighting a fish. Stopped to watch. Wound up being a 20lb flathead caught on a bread dough ball.

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Maybe someday when I get really really bored, I might go throw some perch in the worst cover I can find and see what happens. Wish they didnt close at 11:00. :roll_eyes:

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Don't those little Zebcos come spooled with 10lb test? Y'know like the
    202, 404 and the 33 spincast models? I've only seen the little spinning
    rigs designed for panfish come with 6lb on them. Still, 40lb on 10lb is
    a lot of luck, a lot of skill or some form of skullduggery. Take your pick.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  9. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Small lake and little or no snags it it definitely possible. I got my 42 on 12 lb line and a zebco. It was in a very small park pond with very few places to get snagged up.

10. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Saw lots of huge goldfish in there never thought about fishing it.:smile2:

11. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Holly molly that guy is skilled !!

12. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    There have been times, back in the day, when the river was IN the park, so hard telling what is in there at this point.:eek:oooh: