Is your boat hard to load and unload?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by cantstopgrandma, Jun 22, 2009.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    My 1448 flatbottom jon was a bear to load and unload on my bunk trailer without enough water to float the boat on and off. I came close to aborting a fishing trip the other day because the ramp closest to my catfishing hole sucks. Back tires on truck were wet, and the bunks weren't even wet on the trailer! I've tried candle wax, which works good for a couple of load/unload cycles, and even thought about roller bunks (which are reallly expensive). I had bought a set of bunk slicks from boaters world, and i actually think they were worse than without them.

The solution: I did some research and found UHMW plastic. Its very tough, and supposed to be as slippery as Teflon. I bought two 5' sticks of this stuff, 1.5" wide by 1/2" thick. I rounded the back end and drilled/countersunk holes, and screwed it down to the bunks (after removing the carpet). This stuff is SLICK!!! I could have cranked the boat onto the trailer with one finger, and that was with only 4 inches of bunk in the water. For $20.70 plus shipping, i have finally solved my problem.

I got mine from: http://www.usplastic.com and search for UHMW. Its under bar stock. I hope this helps someone else out. I struggled with this boat for 2 years! Just dont unhook your winch until you're ready for the boat to come off the trailer.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds great Matt. Good idea. Just remember to keep it fasten down good when transporting. It will slide off the trailer on dry ground also.:wink:

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a Galaxie and its pretty easy to loadf and unload.

4. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    sounds like a great idea! were are the pics:big_smile:

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    PAM cooking spray works. I have used it to make it easier to load and unload my boat (24' Carolina Skiff) It is not one finger easy, but I dont know if I want my trailer that slick. A good coat of wax on the bottom of your boat is suppose to help as well, I will be waxing mine when I get back.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I'll try to get some pics if i ever get a chance to get the boat out again. Lots of rain lately, and i got a few yards to mow.

I've used wax melted on the bunks, and silicone spray, it just didn't last very long. I got tired of always having to reapply. Hopefully this is a more permanent solution. I had holes in my bunk carpet anyway, so i just ripped it up, beings the boat wouldn't touch it anymore. Figured it just holds moisture on the bunks, and they definately had some mildew growing on them.

7. CatBassin'

CatBassin' Well-Known Member

State:
    Harmony, NC
    Name:
    Garrett
    My trailer has roller bunks on it. My dad put them on when he owned the boat so he could drop it the ponds we fished and didn't have to worry about backing to far into the soft bottom pond. The only thing he said he didn't like was if you didn't back far enough down a ramp you couldn't let the boat set for a couple of seconds, while the bunks had a hold of it, and back the truck up a little without the boat roling off. He said the easy solution was to hook a rope to bow eye and tie it to the upright post on the trailer to hold it in place.