Is this weird or what?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by ravenloft420, May 29, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    yesterday my buddy convinced me to go bait, I mean bass fishing :big_smile: and I decided to go and try to get a mess of bluegills. well I was runnin a small shiner color rattletrap along the bank and catchin bluegills pretty decent when I miscasted and the wind got ahold of my line and sent it sideways right into the weeds on the bank, all or a sudden I see something fly in the air and appeared to be tangled in the weeds. so I walked over to see what the comotion was and untangle my line, and there was a huge bullfrog sitting there with my rattle trap hanging out of its mouth!!!!!!

I have never even heard of this happening before, and what are the odds of my lure just ending up right in that frogs face hahah

just thought Id share a wierd experience, still havent caught a catfish this year and I am getting frantic!!:crazy:

oh ya I switched to a white twister tail and hooked the biggest bass of my life. to bad it jumped way in the air and threw the hook. but I found the frog more interesting than a lil ol 2-3 lb bass :big_smile:

2. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Andrew, great story :smile2: Maybe that ole bullfrog thought your rattletrap was a big bug zoomin by - aka his dinner - so he leaped into the air to capture it?

Hope you don't haveta catch a kitchen sink before hookin into your first cat of the year :big_smile: Don't feel too bad, tho... I've been catchin cats alright, 'cept they're all straight outta the nursery! We're talkin ounces... and not many. Hopefully June'll be a better cat-month! Happy fishin :lol:

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like the lure might have been dangling from the weeds and he decided it looked like lunch.

Before I moved south, My brother and I used to collect enough frogs every year to fry (pan fry, sautee) up the legs and have a feast. He tried gigging them. I shot a few with a .22 (best way is to aim right next to the frog- the shock knocks them out cold, without making a mess). But the best way we found to collect them was with a plain treble hook on the end of a pole. He'd paddle the boat around the weeds and when I spotted a good frog, I would carefully swing the hook over and either snatch them or, a lot of times, they'd eat it out of the air as soon as it got near them.

Never tried a rattle trap, though!

4. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Well you'll down in the books as the guy that caught a bull frog with a bass lure :lol:
    That is pretty interesting, adds a little something to the experience. ya know, Catfish eat frogs too :wink:Shoul've trebled his boo-tay up and casted his butt:big_smile:The lake I fish in has monster pike and muskie, Im leary on every single cast, wondering what the heck am I going to real in. I think I like that part of it too much.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Andrew that was an interesting story. (Frog) I've always heard that a rattle trap will catch anything. All you need to do is throw it. I caught a snake while flyfishing for bluegills several years ago. I thought I had hooked a big one until I saw all the commotion.He wanted that fly so bad I just cut the line and give it to him.:big_smile:

6. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i cought the biggest bull frog of my life on a curly tailed pink grub. that dang thing liked to have beaten my lil' sister to death with his long legs. still dont know why she decided to pick it up while it was still on the hook.lol!

7. Rhinoliner

Rhinoliner New Member

State:
    Texas
    I remember seeing a video of a bullfrog eating a small bird about the size of a sparrow. Maybe they are kind of like some catfish and will eat anything that they can get their mouth around.

I like eating frog legs sometimes. To me they are sort of like a cross between fish and chicken. Never caught one on a rod and reel though. Not yet.:wink:

8. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    lol, good story, fishing partner told me an owl dropped down and grabbed his top water plug one time, i have had bats right at dusk swoop in on my lures, never caught one though.

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    we use small plastic frogs to catch the bullfrogs here.
    works great

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Now that was a pretty cool post. Thanks for sharing with us!!!

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

I remember seeing that one on either the discovery channel or national geographic channel a long time ago. Poor sparrow was just hopping around minding his own business and....bam!

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Drag any kind of plastic lure rigged weedless past a frog and he will eat it. It's a ball watching the chew on a worm and then you ram the hook home and they start jumping around like crazy.

13. irishpride42

irishpride42 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What an awesome post can't say I have ever heard of that happening

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    frog legs are tasty.....:wink:

15. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Bullfrogs will eat anything that can fit into their mouth. I kept one for a pet for a little while and the darn thing would eat bugs, worms, fish, other frogs and MICE!

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    back in the 50s i cought one on a lucky 13.

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    on the back side of one of our community fishing lakes there's a few acres of solid cattails. where the wind blows em down the bullfrogs will set up in the sun. we texas rig berkely power worms and cast to em. i have never pulled a worm in front of a frog that didn't inhale it. when you see a bullfrog and he doesn't spook, he will attack anything you cast to him. man they are good fried up!
    a good thing about this method is you can pick the big frogs from the little ones, without ever getting wet.

18. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
  19. large1

large1 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Once while fishing redfish around Grand Isle,La I thought i got hung on the bottom and when I finally brought it up my Sparkle Beetle was inside a huge oyster. I figure I drug it through his open shell and he clamped down on it when it went in. He ate pretty good too. Right then and there.