is this the work of a turtle?!?!?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by brandonbtbt, Jul 30, 2009.

1. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    so tonight i decided to throw a line in @ salt for for a bit before the rain... my clicker had a quick jerk then nothing.. about 10 min later it went off like a bat out of hell.. i set the hook and had nothing except a mutilated gold fish.. is this the work of a turtle or a mean catfish or a combination of both!?!?

his nose is ate off but his body was smooth from what it seemed catfish teeth when i tried to set the hook and missed....

whats the deal?!?!

bigfoot aka grass man maybe?!?!

Attached Files:

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    little turtle be my guess ive had em eat a whole gill without even knowin it just part of the head left

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,could very well be.and they sure like to run the clickers too,lol

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Personally, I would say it was a cat. Just about all of my turtle adventures end with my bait having it's insides taken. With the scales removed, I think it was exactly what you believed....the rough mouth of a cat scraped them off as you tried to set, but missed.

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Looks like the work of a Cat to me.

Swing and a miss!

6. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    I would guess a small Cat also maybe the first small run you had he was trying to get him head first and couldn't so he came back at the tail grabbed it and ran like hell to some cover to work on him a little bit and then swallow him down.

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Could have been a cat. It's quite possible by the looks of it that a gar may have been messing around.

8. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    we definitely dont have gar in salt fork.... the only toothy fish that could do damage would maybe be a musky...

9. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i would say a small flathead because sometime they like to scale the bait before eating it, but i think if a turtle got it there wouldve been a big chunk of the goldfish missing.i would have to say it was a small flathead.....RAT

10. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    any turtle ive ever encountered will pull the clicker and stop for a few then pull again each time only taking a couple of feet each time....if the last run was a long one i would assume it was a cat...maybe the turtle started him but would assume the cat finished him lol....thats just my best guess...ull never know....:smile2:

11. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd say it was probably a cat and ya just had some bad luck setting the hook.

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    if you were fishing the lower great miami i would say small flathead or even a gar would do that rick

13. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i was thinking maybe a small gar as well

14. catangler53

catangler53 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i catch turtles all the time and ive had turtles do stuff like this but they usually bite it off! id say this was a catfish because its smooth and half of it is still there.

15. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    i read everyones post about it might have been a flattie but look at the goldfishes face! it almost looks as if something was sitting there chewing on it for awhile..

16. cudadustin

cudadustin New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO

I'm going to go with Catmanblues here. That is classic gar. We have those rotten rascals nearly rip our rods in the water when the drag wasn't set right. They will hit a set up so hard you wouldn't believe. Then you go to set the hook and nothing. I've seen it about a million times. When that starts happening you might as well just pack it up and move cause your in 'em son. They don't go away and they hard to hook. They fight nice but like I said, good luck hooking them.

Here's a pic of one we caught last weekend.

Well nm it will not let me attach it since i've already attached it to another post. Check out the thread "An Ode to stink bait". It's there.

17. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    if i was on the river i could assume a gar but i was @ salt fork!!! there isn't any gar in there!!!!!