Is this the full list of illegal bait? Also, improvised homemade bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by NWIowa, Aug 1, 2009.

1. NWIowa

NWIowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've just moved to northwest Iowa and I was looking at the Iowa DNR website which says:

Non-bait Species
    The following species cannot be used for bait in any inland water of the state:

• carp
    • quillback
    • gar
    • dogfish
    http://www.iowadnr.gov/fish/regulations/bait.html

I know that using bluegill, cut or live, is illegal in a lot of places and I was reading about a specific lake in Iowa (can't remember which lake.. Clear Lake maybe?) where using bluegill was not allowed.

But that list above is from the honest-to-goodness actual DNR website. Am I to believe that if I pull up a bluegill or a crappie or a bullhead, can I cut that sucker up and use it as bait?

What about in the border water of the Big Sioux? Different rules there?

While we're on the subject of bait, I'm going out in a few days to a dam where the local bait shop doesn't open until 8AM so I'm getting creative for the few hours I'll have from before daybreak to when I can get some worms and maybe some stink bait. So I've crushed up some cat food, put it in a jar with a little water, and I'm going to put in a cut up hot dog and probably some halved chicken gizzards and maybe some garlic juice in there and I'll probably leave it out in the sun all day tomorrow. I wonder if that crap will work.

I'm on a horrible losing streak.. I've been fishing spoons, crankbait, minnows and twister tails for whatever will bite it my last few times out. I did pretty well with them in late spring but I haven't even had a nibble for an embarrassing number of consecutive outings. I sat in a boat yesterday with a guy who caught 4 bass and still.. not even a damn nibble for me. Monday will be the first time this year I've gone out specifically for cat and I'm going to catch some god damned fish if it kills me.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Randy

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    If you are going to all that work to make bait I'd try just plain hot dogs first.
    Then get you some chicken livers and freeze them until you need them.
    Dip baits are sold at wal mart and they are open 24/7. Actually the hot dogs and livers are sold there too.
    Any bait shop that isn't open when fishermen need bait ...well thats just tough that they didn't get the sale.

have a good 1
    just

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Unfortunately laws change from state to state so I usually check with the DNR before I get busted doing something illegal. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Randy Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

6. Foreverdark

Foreverdark New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yes, welcome!!

id say go with the classic, liver and stinkbait. as for bluegill, use em, i have for years. even went with a dnr officer one time and used em and he didnt say anything. :D

7. NWIowa

NWIowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to see this is such an active forum.

Yeah, the bait I whipped up is only because I'm going out well before daybreak and I live in the boonies and didn't get a chance to get to a decent grocery store or baitshop in advance. I'm starting at the Rock Rapids dam and the local bait shop (and probably the grocery store) there doesn't open until 8AM, so really I just need to cover the time from pre-daybreak to 8am. After that I'm picking up the good stuff and then move on to the Klondike Dam and/or Lake Pahoja.

It's so rare that I get a whole day to go fishing, I'm pumped.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

I dont know about iowa's laws but i would def check with the dnr before i got busted. if the Iowa DNR is anything like KY i would just email them with your questions. Good luck hope you catch a big one....

9. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    welcome to the boc bro. Not sure if you have any bait vendors around there "the ones like soda machines" but your bait shop needs to change it's hours lol or you could always catch your own.

10. Holmer

Holmer New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I quit using anything but sunfish (green or bluegill-live or cut) a couple of years ago and two things happened: I started to catch catfish. I started to catch quite a few catfish. I started to catch quite a few big catfish. I guess that's 3 things, but of all the baits I've tried, none come close to sunfish.

11. NWIowa

NWIowa New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well I didn't catch much of anything with the gizzards or hot dogs although I didn't catch anything with the livers after I was able to get those either.

I did get a small turtle on a gizzard though, that was kind of funny. He didn't even take my hook, he just latched onto some gizzard hanging off the side and held on while I pulled him all the way back to shore.

We pulled in a lot of really small catfish with nightcrawlers and worms. Nothing big enough to get excited about but at least I know they're in there.

The problem with bluegill is getting the damn things.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  12. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    the last i knew you can use gills in the state of iowa as long as you catch them in that body of water,you can use sun fish on any river,they are different well not when in my bucket lol. iuse to use carp all the time around des moines worked very good,not so much up here.

13. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I've heard a hundred different stories from fisherman but haven't actually asked a dnr officer yet but from what I understood when I moved here was that you couldn't use a "gamefish" for bait bass crappie etc. but the list you have from the website is the newest one they have out. You know how sweet it would be to have a bucket of baby bass and walleye!!! I'm going to email the dnr and see what they have to say and I'll get back to you.

14. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Here's the deal.. If it's not illegal, it's permissable. I've seen 100 threads like this and the DNR officers themselves often do not know the letter of the law. You have to legally take the fish, not go over the possession limit, etc. There is no mention of "game fish" in Iowa regs although I have seen a lot of references to the term in other states regulations.

15. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would like to now if goldfish are illegal? I would think they are,but I have heard stories of them being sold in bait shops?

16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    ok so I emailed the dnr and their response was that it was illegal to use "gamefish" such as crappie bass walleye etc. as bait. I'm not making this up if anybody would like to see it send me your email address and I will forward it to you. I also suggested for them to update their list on their site.

17. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

I brought some gold fish back from my favorite bait house in oklahoma and have used them here in IA. dnr haven't said anything I don't see why they would be illegal because their not a baitfish

18. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    lol now I just need to find a place where their not 4 bucks apiece for a decent sized one lol

19. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    P, you talked to the wrong guy. Go to the DNR site and search for gamefish. It only turns up three times and it has nothing to do with what can be bait. I don't know why but they don't all know the application of the law very well. Some do but it sucks when one just makes stuff up like that.

Goldfish, I thought they were legal, I don't know if they changed this a year or two ago or not.

Aquatic Nuisance Species Laws
    It is illegal for anglers to possess, introduce, purchase, sell, or transport aquatic invasive species in Iowa except when a species is being removed from watercraft and equipment, is caught and immediately killed or returned to the water from which it came, or is being transported in a sealed container for identification purposes. It is also illegal to introduce any live fish, except for hooked bait, into public waters.

Nuisance Species
    Zebra Mussel Purple Loosestrife
    Carp
    Spiny Water Flea Goldfish Round Goby Eurasian Watermilfoil
    Ruffe
    Rudd Daphnia lumholzi

20. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thats why I wondering because all a goldfish is just a differnt breed of carp.