Is this rod any good

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishing is fun, Dec 1, 2006.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
  2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Marshall, That rod should work just fine. Paired with a 209, should make a pretty good allround setup.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Both are good rods. However, I have an older version of the Eagle Claw rod. I think I bought it in 1985. Last Friday night, to prove a point, I tied my line onto a 20# barbel weight and picked it up straight of the floor. Of course this does not prove anything about the new rods, just the one that I have.

But since you're looking in Cabela's for rods, take a look at the Phil King Signature Series Rods. Phil helped design these rods and he probably knows more about catfishing than I will ever learn. On top of that, He is a nice guy.

4. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think either one of those rods would work well with your Penn 209.

If I had to choose one for myself, I would go with the Cabella's King Cat. For one, it is white and that is helpfull should you be fishing at night. Two, I've seen some pretty good reviews from folks on the board here. And three, I know nothing about the other rod nor do I know any one that has one.

Maybe some one here on the board that has one or the other will weigh in and give better info.

5. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    I have the eagle claw and so far it works great.

6. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I have an 8' King Kat spinning rod, so far it has done well. However I have not caught any trophy cats on it. The biggest was about 8lbs. It does seem to be built well though, having double seated line guides. I like it.

7. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i like the 7ft tropphy plus 1 piece rod for 20.00 at bass pro any thing over 7 has to be an ugly stick

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think those rods, would work.

9. catfishinginky

catfishinginky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i agree with dellis if it is going to be a good cat rod i have to go with ugly stik i have several of them and have had good luck controlling the 20lbers with them

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The "whuppin stick" might be another rod for you to consider. The action on them is pretty good but I wouldn't go monter hunting with them. I have two and use them for eater size fish.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Take a look at the Ugly Stick 1120 BWC rod, 7 foot casting if that's the length you want. Great rod, lots of action and power. Costs about $45 though.

12. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Any eagle claw is great. get it

13. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i love my king cat it works great! get it! lol