Is this possible?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by JoeDaCatKing, Sep 24, 2009.

1. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    OK I fished the Octoraro Reservoir catfish tournament on Friday the 18th. I won it in 08 and 06. Well the people who won this year (2 brothers placed 1st and 3rd and took lunker prizes) somehow managed to catch 4 flathead catfish. Its funny because I have fished this 600+acre reservoir inside and out and Have caught hundreds of catfish out of this lake. And they have all been channel cats and brown and yellow bullheads. Now I would love for there to be flatheads in this lake.... but How could that be? I have been fishing this lake for 5 years plus. Using bait that most people regard as INSANE for channel cats. Im talking 7in live chubs and suckers. I use the same when Im trying to target pike in the lake. Now is this possible? Are there flatheads here? How come NOBODY has ever reported or brought one up to the scale at the bait shop on the property? And if anybody knows the people who won the tournament then I would like to personally talk to them. I know their bait and their spot and I have fished it myself.
    thoughts?

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Something smells fishy here brother!:crazy:

3. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    you aint kidding I live a half mile away from the Octoraro Lake and Im pretty sure that I would have heard about flatheads in it.

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I know where your coming from and what your getting at. Only advise is be very sure of what your getting at and have your ducks in a row with facts before you go after them. Assumptions won't go far without facts to back up the accusations.Did they leave during the tourney? Could they have had a decoy bag planted in the water holding the flatheads? In any event, have rock solid facts to backup your accusations or it will just backfire on you.

Being apart of a local tourney scene that runs throughout the year. Keeping a fair playing field for all is something I always attempt keep a close eye on. Any time you have money in the equation people can do some stupid things to get an advantage. Luckily 99.9% of the anglers who participate in these tourney's, however small, they are honest and are in it for the right reasons. But there are ways to weed out those that might have other ideas.

5. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    The 1st thing you should do is check with DNR and ask them if there is flatheads in the there. If they say "yes" then I'd drop it and let it be. If they say "No' then you have something to take to the tourney opp's. It may not change things as far as the win goes this year. But it could change the rules of it in coming years. Making it a Chann Cat ONLY tourney. But whatever you do don't go getting hot headed with the tourney opp's. Because it's not worth you getting banned from fishing up coming tourneies. Also I don't think it would be a good idea to contact the winner. Because if they pulled that to win a tourney no telling what they may try next. Good luck Bro.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cheating oes on in alot of tournys, especially small ones that are not well organized.

To me fishing catfish tournys for money, is not much different that fishing paylakes to win money.

I dont fish for money, but for the personal satisfaction of catching a big fish.

If catfish tournys, just gave out trophys, instead of money, the cheating would stop

7. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    Cheating has become common place in small tourney's.Cheating is why the great spring city contest now sucks.Between the guys holding fish in pens for weeks,you had guys bringing in fish that looked like they were on steroids(stocked pond-fish chow)Its all about the money.Did I read payout was $2,000

8. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Yes, that is what the payout was in that tournament. As mentioned in another thread human greed is a wierd motivating factor that makes some people do crazy things. I totally agree with the statement that if was just trophies that people were fishing for the cheating would stop.
    It would be interesting to ask the Pa. Fish and Boat Commission if they ever did an electro-shocking of the lake Joe.
    Do what you are doing for the right reasons Joe and things will fall into place. God knows where everyone's heart is at on every issue. If cheating did go on there will be a much higher authority that those guys will have to answer to some day. Be cool. :cool2:

Ray

9. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    That is so true. In the long run it will cost them way more than $2000.00 if they are cheating. I fish tournaments around here and I've seen a lot of stuff go on that just aint rite.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If you are sure there were flatheads caught, then they are definitely in there and by the size you talk about, it seems they have do a good job reproducing.

Since the flathead explosion in eastern PA, flatheads have "somehow":wink: found their was into other waters.:cool2:

Not a bad thing for whisker hunters, but not to good for the spinnerbait sling bassguys and God-almighty stocked trout men.:smile2:

11. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    Joe if you are fishing live bait as long as you have been on this lake and in the same spot these guys supposedly caught their flatties, I would say you would have run into one eventually. At least one. Just doesn't add up.

Bust as many others said, get your facts in order before you raise a ruckus, nothing like being labeled the spoiled loser if they indeed caught flatties.

12. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Its like the same at Blue Marsh they are in there just very hard to find but in this case,sounds a lil funny to me :angry:

13. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Well fellas, looks like we are going to have to get together on the Octo and see if there are indeed any flats in there.

How big where the winning fish Joe?

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Smells real fishy to me also

15. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    This is what gets me the lunker was only 10lbs! It would have been freeking obvious if they brought up a 30 pounder. Just so everybody knows Im not trying to go vigilante on anybody I just want to hear it from their mouth that they caught them in my lake.

16. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Anything is possible. It seems strange that you have not heard of any caught there, assuming you get accurate info and people may have said they caught any before. A 10# or less flat may never have been seen as warranting much talk about the catch. Maybe some have been caught and not ever realized as being anything special. It does seem odd though that they come back with several of them. Who knows, it might be best to just let it go and move on? As has been said, the introduction of money into an equation can have departmental effects. I remember a few years ago when stashed fish were found at Blue Marsh and thought to be where they were for retrieval during tourney. Unfortunately it happens in all forms of sports and competitions. It's a sad fact but true.

17. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    yeah Im gonna let it go but when next years tournament rolls around Imm keep my good eye on it:dribble:

18. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    well if there weren't any before there are now. i assume the fish caught in the tourney were released after weigh in. so now you know there are some there if nothing else.

19. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    actually I didnt find out about that little tidbit. Usually people keep them and eat them. This is a little down home tournament so there are no Major regulations to abide by. Just whatever rules get cooked up by the bait shop owner. Come to think of it im probably the only person who releases catfish here. People think im nuts for throwing them back. Lots of meat fisherman around here

20. kboatman48

kboatman48 New Member

State:
    lancster pa
    I have fished this lake for 45 years and have never heard of a flathead in that lake . and the guy at the bait shop knows that and if they are in there it was done illegal.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009