Is this my ball joints? (2000 Explorer)

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by wpsatisfide, Apr 3, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I have a 200 ford explorer just now creeping to 100,000 miles. In the last 15000 it has steadily started queaking when turning or hitting bumps. In the last 8000 or so my steering wheel has started making a EEE EERR sound when I turn it.

Friend told me it was my ball joints because his was doing something similar. I dunno what a ball joint is exactly but shouldnt I just be able to pack it with grease or something? If not how much should I expect to pay for parts and labor on it?

Thanks, KT

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Sounds like a possible power steering pump problem, Is the fluid up to level in the power steering, is the PS belt tight , not slipping, check for PS leaks, Bad ball joints will wear your tires on the edge..

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Also check front sway bar ends and tie rod linkages for slop.

4. ultima_cat_man

ultima_cat_man New Member

State:
    granite city, ill
    kevin sorry to say this but you own a ford.... lol with that out of the way, the noise is either gonna be your balljoints or tie rods, ford had this brillant idea to make nonservicable front end parts, which means they are sealed and have no grease fittings for these parts, what happens is the grease works it way out or water gets in there,

to fix you either
    1. replace with a aftermarket part which will come with a grease fitting so you wont have this problem anymore,

2. go to your local shop and ask if they have a needle fitting for there grease gun,(i have one but most mechanics dont)

3. buy a can of wd40 poke a small hole in the rubber boot of the balljoint or tierod and fill with wd40,

if your ford has 100k on it and it still has original balljoints they are probably bad anyway they usually go bad on fords around 20k and thats not a ford joke,

hope this helped,,,,,,, tim

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I would have to agree with ultima_cat_man on this one. Seen that problem too many times to remember. I bought one of those needle fittings just for that reason.

Jim sounds like you have had better luck than most on that truck of yours. You ever get them intake gaskets replaced yet?

6. draghook

draghook New Member

State:
    Shawsville Va
    I just had upper and lower both sides put on Dodge Ram $480.00

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have a 1994 ford f-150 with the unstopable inline 6 and it has 154,000 miles on it and the front end is solid, no problems with the non greasable ball joints.

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Almost forgot! Jack up one of the front tires high enough so you can grab the tire at 12 o'clock with one hand and 6 o'clock with the other, secure the vehicle on a jack stand and try to move or wiggle the tire while holding it at the 12 & 6 o'clock positions. If it is tight it's not the ball joints. If there is play or movement then it is the ball joints.

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Evening, I Have An Auto Shop And I Can Almost Guarantee You That your Ball Joints Are Bad, Both Uppers & Lowers. I Repair Quite A Few Each Month.

The Good News Is That The Lowers Ones Are Replaceable Without Changing tHe Lower Control Arm; However The Bad News Is That The Uppers Come As An Assembly With The Upper Arms. They Are Only Available Thru The Dealer & Actually The Lower Ones Are Cheaper To Get From The Dealer. Here's The clincher, The Ones From The Dealer Cannot Be Greased.

If And When You Purchase The Uppers Don't Be Suprised If They Look Different, They Have Been Redesigned, Guess Why ?????.
    Also The Lower Ones Need A press To Remove & Install THem, If THere Is A Local Autozone Near You They Will Rent It To You.

HTH, Elliot

10. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    My son has a Ranger with the ungreasable joints and it has over 215,000 miles on it. The front end is still good and tight and is all original.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The Rangers Use A Different ball Joint & A-Arm part #. I Think The turning Radius Has Some Ill Effect On THe "Xploders".

Don't Do Many Rangers, But Keep THe "Xploders" Lined Up, Sorry But It's True.

Have A Good Evening, Elliot

12. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    thanks for all the advice and for not giving me hell about sounding out eee eeerr lol

13. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ford drivers, u gotta love them , a million miles dont even have to add oil ,me i drive an old jimmey ,its worn out 250,000 it has had every thing but the motor fixed or repaired. an it could stand that, so it aint like a ford. it dont get stuck on flat ground, it dont grunt when i stick a race car an traylor behind it . it just uses fuel and PULLS. probley dont even have to align fords eather .:cool2: :tounge_out: lol

14. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    just had the same thing repaired on both my 97 camaro and 94 F-150....i thought it was the ball joints on both vehicles but the guys at MIDAS told me it was the "wheel bearings" and of course both needed whole new assemblys.....on the Z28 i only got the squeek when i turned left and on the ford i got it no matter how i turned and it was one embarrising squeek,i was afraid to turn most of the time in fear id be laughed at lol ....also as far as price they charged me close to $500 but i also had my rotors turned and new pads put on and when i got my camaro repaired it cost me almost 2 grand but i had new fuel pump,brakes and tune up..id have to find the recipt and look to see how much it was for parts and labor on the assembly.