Is this for real

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ryang, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
  2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Fourteen year old and a homemade bow, why not? Looks like its on a buggy, whoever harvested it is smiling hard. :big_smile:

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    looks pretty real to me! amzing how big some deer are getting these days, especially if this was shot outside any game fences

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have some monster round here its unreal !I believe this is very real fo sure!

5. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    The photo looks real, but i'm no expert. The amish people don't look real though. Was i the only one who noticed the factory made plastic lawn chairs and mass produced clothing?

6. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Maybe Im wrong but i think this buck was taken a year or two ago by an amish with a crossbow. Read about it before pretty sure its the same deer. Just what i heard though

7. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I think that you are right. The amish guy would not pose for a picture, that is why the guy holding the buck doesn't look amish.
    This is something I found about it
    http://blog.kingsoutdoorworld.com/2006/11/04/amish-hunter-bags-monster-whitetail-deer/

8. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    thanks for the update. Makes me feel a LOT better to know it came from ohio. Maybe now I can start making money selling hunting time on my 80 acres in ohio:roll_eyes::smile2:

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    The buck looks real enough to me . Don't know about the story that goes along with it.

10. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    THIS is the record currently in ohio and was killed about 20 minutes from my land.

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    My personal opinion.... I think that Amish buck is absolutely breath-taking. If I were standing there & had to pick between that buck and the Beatty buck, I'd smoke the Amish buck. That is a beautiful rack.

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    My cousin sent me a picture of this buck. He claimed this deer was shot in Warren Co. IOWA. Not sure, but the gentleman posing with the deer on the bootom picture shot this using bow and arrow. Could be a cover up, but that's how rumors get spread.

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Did some research on the Amish Buck and found the same picture that my cousin in IOWA sent me. Damn! My cuz likes to feed me some lies!LOL! I feel like slapping him along side the head for telling me his side of the story. Now I know the real story. PAYBACKS ARE A BITCH!:wink:

14. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I cant get the link to come up but if its the amish buck it was killed by a amish man by the name of John Scmucher (spelling on last name may be wrong) with a crossbow in Ohio. It was covered by North American Whitetail last year. It scored 295 and some odd inches.

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've seen that around. In fact, I thought it was shot right here in our backyard (Ohio). I did however think it was shot w/ a crossbow, if I recall correctly.

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Real? Don't know,,,,

But,,,, Does it give you, HOPE ?!?!?!?:wink:

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here you go.

Org Written on 10/6/06
    -"For the second year in a row, an Ohio hunter has killed a 200-class trophy buck on the first day of Ohio deer archery season.

Once scored, the Adams County buck will easily score over 200 (non-typical). It has 33 points on its antlers and an inside spread of 24 inches. Jonathon Schmucker of Seaman, Ohio killed the buck with a crossbow on the evening of September 30. Last year on opening day, Mike Rex of Athens, killed a buck that scored 218 6/8. This is the first year deer season has started in September.

“Trophy bucks on opening day are getting to be a tradition in Ohio,” said Steven A. Gray, chief of the Division of Wildlife. "The state’s deer management program is designed to manage for trophy-sized bucks while controlling the state population through hunting of deer, especially does."

Ohio is gaining fame as a trophy buck state. The famous 39-point Beatty Buck was taken in Greene County in the fall of 2000. With a rack score of 304 6/8, it stands as the world's largest non-typical white-tailed deer ever taken by a bowhunter. A white-tailed deer killed in the fall of 2004 in Warren County, known as the Jerman buck, became an Ohio typical record with a score of 201 1/8. These two bucks and many other trophy bucks have focused national attention from the hunting community on the Buckeye state in the past few years.

The Ohio Buckeye Big Buck Club (BBBC) has recorded more than one-half of all its top 10 entries for both typical and non-typical deer during the last decade. Of the 144 BBBC entries scoring over 200, 92 (63 percent) have been killed since 1990. The BBBC has kept records of trophy deer since 1958.
    "

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is an article about the scoring of the "Amish Buck"
    Org Written On: N/A

"Schmucker buck is scored

Whitetail will make the record books

TOM CROSS
    Sportsman's Exit

The big non-typical buck that John Schmucker took on opening day of bow season in Adams County has been officially scored and will rank among the top whitetails of all time.

After the required 60-day drying period, a panel of scorers from the Buckeye Big Buck Club and Boone & Crockett scored the deer at Schmucker's residence on Friday, Dec. 1, officially releasing the score at a media event held at the Division of Wildlife's District Five office in Xenia on Saturday.

According to the panel, the Schmucker buck scored a whopping 291-2/8 Boone & Crockett points after deductions, with a gross score of 300-6/8 making it the number two whitetail in the state and the largest ever taken with a crossbow in Ohio.

The Schmucker Buck is the fourth largest nontypical white-tailed deer harvested in the world according to the Boone and Crockett Club.

Jason Schrock, an official scorer for the Buckeye Big Buck Club, who green scored the buck a few days after it was taken, said there was less then four inches of shrinkage during the two month drying period.

The rack was also scored for Buckmasters by Rob Meade on Oct. 30, who scored the Schmucker buck at a composite score of 305-4/8.

Schmucker's buck will in all likelihood be one of the largest, if not the largest whitetail taken in the U.S. during 2006, according to official scorer Ron Perrine.

Duncan Dobie, editor of North American Whitetail Magazine said, "There are very few 300 (point) class whitetails taken in the nation, John Schmucker's buck will rank as one on the top whitetails of all time."

John's amazing buck will be featured on the cover and be the primary story in the upcoming issues of North American Whitetail, and Ohio Fish & Game, due on newsstands in mid-December.

Biologist and District Five Supervisor Todd Haines said the southwest Ohio counties are among of the top producers of trophy whitetails in the United States, and cited genetics, forage, the abundant acorn crop of the past three years, and wildlife management that has sought to balance the buck/doe ratio as the reasons. Haines also said Adams County is now the top spot in the state and one of the leading places in the nation to bag a trophy whitetail. To capitalize on this, the Division of Wildlife has created a large six foot tall poster featuring both the Schmucker Buck and the Metzner Buck with words "Adams County" in red between the two giant photos of the deer. That poster will be on display at the Division of Wildlife booth at the upcoming Cincinnati Sport, Boat, and Travel show and at the Deer and Turkey Expo in Columbus. The poster will also be at the Adams County Travel and Visitors Bureau booth at the Cincinnati Boat and Travel show in January.

Mr. Schmucker took the record setting whitetail with a crossbow in the late afternoon hours on opening day of archery season. "I had been watching him over the course of three years," said Schmucker. "On opening day I went out to my tree stand at three in the afternoon and had taken the deer by six."

The Beatty Buck, harvested in Greene County in the fall of 2000, holds the record for nontypical at 304 6/8 and currently ranks as the number one nontypical buck in Ohio, the largest nontypical whitetail deer ever taken by a bow hunter. A typical white-tailed deer killed in 2004 in Warren County, known as the Jerman Buck, became an Ohio record with a score of 201 1/8.

The panel of scorers who officially measured the Schmucker buck was Ron Perrine, Tim Schlater, George Bauer, and Jason Schrock. The actual scoring took three hours to complete and three days to review all the measurements and tally up the points before a final score was determined.

Gary Trent, president of the Buckeye Big Buck Club, had some friendly words of advice for Mr. Schmucker, "You won't believe what's about to happen to you, my advice is to sit back, take it easy, and let the manufactures and endorsement offers come to you. Just take it all in, be yourself, and make wise decisions."

And knowing John, that's exactly what he'll do.

Tom Cross writes on the outdoors for The News Democrat.
    "

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol. We must have been typing at the same time!

20. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sure was!LOL! I couldnt find any pics of it but the link finally worked for me and thats the buck shot by Schmucker.