is this enough to get me started?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FATDAD, Feb 23, 2009.

1. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    as you can tell i am new to catfishing, friend took me to a paylake last year and saw a guy catch a 50lb flathead iwas HOOKED.... i plan on fishing in the rive and at some paylakes at first. any way here is a list of what i have bought do you guys think this will work for a while?
    2 6500c4 reels on 7.5 ft ecat rods #4
    1 shakeshere 30l on 9 ft nite stick
    3 808 magnums on 7 ft ugly stick mh catfish rods
    2 older pro staff 888 on 7 ft ugly stick mh catfish rods
    1 saltwater 888 on 7 ft berley big game rod
    1 30 l on big game rod
    what do you think? hope you all dont get tired of all the questions. i am really glad i found this site........:roll_eyes:

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I would stay away from the 808/888 for flatheads, A big one in good current will wreck those reels. other than that you should be good to go with your Abu......not sure on the shaksp. reel:wink:

3. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    am going to use 808/888 for channel cats and carp, have caught some big carp with 888, thanks

4. espressokev

espressokev New Member

State:
    Iowa
    you're good. Go have some fun! :)

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Those two are your go to rigs. There is not a catfish that cannot be landed on that combination. Spool them with some good quality 30lb mono and use good hooks, swivels etc.
    As for the paylake thing, I am not knocking it but I believe that in most cases the techniques learned there to catch catfish will not stand you in good stead when you go to the rivers and natural lakes.
    Good luck, have fun...W

6. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    You are rite mr "W" about the equiptment.But a little experience without being out on big water will help.

7. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Welcome to the BOC charles and that sounds like a good set up you got there.

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Welcome to the BOC,,
    From your list of tackle, looks like you're off to a good start,, It's always going to change, and you have a lot of different stuff, You'll pick out what you like using and what works best pretty quick I'd say!!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Greg on this one.:0a27::0a26::0a22:

10. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Welcome fellow Kentuckian. I agree on the paylake deal. I tend to agree on the reels.

11. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC. Now go out and have some fun catching the cats. This is a great place to learn a lot. Good luck.

Tom

12. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    sounds good all of the reels except for the shakespere I have had experience with, and the have all worked well. The only problem I had with the 808s was when spooling with line be carefull not to overfill as it will cause them to catch the line while casting. Other than that all will suit you well as you learn the ropes to this great sport.

13. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Oh yeah your good to go. Just use some of the advise that was already given to you and you will do fine. by the way welcome to the BOC.:cool2:

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The only thing I see wrong with the plan is that you may be using the 808/888 for channels and carps, but do the big blues and flatheads know that?

I'd say go ahead and fish with them. If you do hang into a big one, you'll have a fish story and stripped reel to show for it. LOL

AND, let me add my welcome to the B.O.C. If you continue to fish the pay lakes, I wouldn't talk about it too much on the board. Lots of the fellas get upset with the commercial fishermen who catch the big fish from state waters with nets, then sale them to the pay lakes. So, it's a sometimes sore subject.

15. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    thanks to all, did not know about the paylake thing, maybe i will lean enough from you guys to quit the pay lake and go to the river....

16. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The 808/888 reels can take more than most people give them credit for. One of the former world record King Salmon was caught on an 808 and a 9ft spinning rod with 20lb line. It weighed 79lbs. The guy that caught it used that combo exclusively for his salmon fishing from the bank. He caught many large fish on it. If the reel will handle big salmon, it'll handle big cats and carp too.

17. cj7

cj7 New Member

State:
    AR
    Charles Ask all the questions you want:tounge_out: I do Thats what gets the gears turning on the BOC. I would try the tailraces on dams if you don't have a boat. I have gotten a ton of vital fishing info on the river I fish through the BOC all thanks to questions. Good luck:cool2:

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I only got one suggestion for the pay lake. If your gonna fish them Id get at least a 9' or better yet 10 foot casting rod for your bobber, if ya use them. It also depends on how big the paylakes are.

19. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I can testify to the 808/888 getting smoked by big fish. I've had them destroyed with just one good fight with a monster flathead. Stick with the Abu's and you will be fine. I would recommend either the 6500 or 7000. I use the 7000 currently for rivers but I am planning on buying some 6500's for lake fishing at some point.

20. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    looks like your ready to me i think what you have will serve you just fine.