Is this enough for pike?

Discussion in 'Northern Pike Fishing' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 25, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Ok i was on a tough budget so I picked up a 6' 6" uglystick combo from wal-mart and put cajun line 15lb test about 200 yards. do u think that will be enough for pike? I got it all for about $60.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    What kind of reel? You might consider stepping up to 20# line.

3. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    it is some kind of shakespeare reel it is black and gold. I was gonna put 20lb but I only had about $65 and the 20lb line in any kind of line was at least 15.95 compared to the $6 i payed for the 15lb.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have caught pike on smaller out fits. If the drag is good it should handle most of what you caatch. I hope you hook a really big one and get it in. My man concern is the terminal tackle, steel leaders, strong hooks etc.How big do youexpet to get?

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Your combo sounds good but your you need to use a wire leader, at least 15lb to match your line. There really hard on line, so make sure you use a quality fishing line, and check it often. Good luck on the water.

6. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico

The biggest maybe 30lbs the state record is like 36lbs I think but prolly about 20lbs biggest and yeah ill use steel leaders and strong hooks. I hooked a monster last time i went but he got off i saw him like skim across the top of the water he was at least 20lbs but he shook the hook since he wasnt hooked to good.

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used to chase them with 14# line and 20# leader. As long as you have room to fight the fish, you'll get him in if your drag is set right.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    It will work fine. Be sure to use a good steel leader and as sharp a hook as you can buy. Get your drag set so as he can run some.