Is this boat a good deal? 1998 Procraft

Discussion in 'Boating' started by atvracer, Mar 9, 2009.

1. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    I know this isn't a catfishing boat, but someone near me has a 1998 Procraft 180 bass boat for sale with matching trailer. It has a 135 HP Mercury Optimax. There are almost 30 pictures of the boat and it looks almost new. The seller said it is in perfect running condition, no issues. He wants $3,300 for it. I am mainly buying it for entertainment of family...skiing,tubing, but I also like to fish for bass and panfish. We love going on vacations to lakes but usually rent or do not use a boat. Thanks for any input!

Attached Files:

2. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    looks like a great deal if the motor is any good:wink:

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    heck of a deal if it runs good

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    just to be safe you should give me the phone number so i can check this boat out for ya :smile2:, i'd say buy it, just the motor alone is worth that if its in good running condition:wink:

5. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    I thought it was a great deal. The only problem is a boat isn't like a car you can just test drive...at least in this weather. I suppose the seller can put muffs on the boat and run it for awhile? Anything in particular I should check? I see the same type of boats selling for 6-7k. This one was around 18500 new from what I can tell. Thanks to all!

6. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    economy is so bad people are selling thing cheaper just to get out from under them . i would def. want to hear it run and if at all possible take it out on water.some times they will run great on muffs but like crap when you put a load on them Shane

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There is no way I would buy a boat without putting it on the water.
    If I didn't know anything about boats I would also spend the money to pay someone knowledgeable about boats and motors to go over it.

Many nasty little things can lay hidden in boat hulls. Things that are real expensive to fix. Doubly expensive if you dont know how to correct them yourself.

It's easy to get the bad end of the deal in a used car or a boat.
    If the owner is hesitant about putting it on the water, walk away from it.

Lastly. how it's been cared for.
    Any records on servicing the motor?
    Sit outside with a cheesey tarp over it?
    Garage kept?

Makes a huge difference.

8. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    From what I can tell from the pic, it looks well maintained, Id say its a great buy at $3300 if it runs well

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You definitely want to give it a good test run out on the water, but before you do that, check the compression on the cylinders. If you don't have a locking compression gauge, invest $20 and buy one. Remove a spark plug, zero the gauge, screw it in, and turn the engine over several times. Write down the compression. Once you have them all, compare them. If there's no more than 10-12psi difference, that's excellent. If there's a big difference, or one cylinder is a lot lower than the others, say 40-50psi, there's a serious problem.

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    That looks just like the boat on craigslist that this guy has posted in every city in Texas, he just changed the price by a dollar in every listing....be careful w/scammers, sound like a good deal, almost too good to be true, you know what they say about that...i don't see one for less than 7000 right now, everybody kept flagging that guy

11. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501

You are indeed correct. It was listed in Indianapolis and another town an hour away. After corresponding with the guy, the boat is in North Dakota! He is in the military and needed rid of it to go overseas. I feel like an idiot for wasting my and everyone's time on here.

12. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Check it out good but if it is good like the owner is saying then its a real good deal. A boat like that is usually being sold in teh 5-8 grand range for its age and motor size.

13. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    check the compression thats the most important thing.second check the foot oil and make sure the foot turns.third turn the motor back and forth to see if it turns to the left and right freely.check transom to see if any major cracks.look around plugs and see if paint is peeling sign of over heating

14. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Get a compression check before you buy it.

15. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    If it was me, I would shy away from this deal! If your game, I would definently ask if it could be run on the water. Sounds like a quick money scam to me. But maybe the owner needs the money really bad and wants a quick sell, regardless of the offer price.