Is this an ok practice?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Clovis, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    I have been think about the way I go about fishing from the bank.

What I have been thinking about is after I cast out, and get everything set up, I was thinking about turning my drag as loose as I could while still being able to keep a tight line. with the baitclicker on of course.

Is this a good idea?

of course I would tighten it back up once I got a bite.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i wouldnt loosen my drag no more than need be , you still need to set the hook in the heat of the moment

3. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    exactly too much drag and your gone lose more fish than you catch

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I dont think its a good practice of messing with your drag while playing a fish and ultimately thats what you'll end up havin to do if you have it loose to begin with.

5. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i do not think it is a good idea i set my drag so that when and if i do hook a good fish or the only thing i have to worry about is getting the fish in and that one of my idiot friends can net it

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always keep my drag loose and never tighten it more that it takes to allow a fish to tire out. After a catch I loosen my drag. I keep it set tight enough to get a click on. I am a believer in not winching a fish unless cover dictates.

You can prolong the life of your drag on your reel by leaps and bounds if you keep your drag light and always back it complete off when not in use, never allow your reels to sit with a tight drag.

As always this is just what I think.

I am always right unless I am incorrect.

7. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    I would not mess with the drag. Just cast out tighten you line turn the clicker on and put the rill in freespool. This is how I have always done it and never have had an issue.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think its a bad idea to loosen the drag, no more than need. Because the fish can take off to much line.

9. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    That sounds like it will do what I was trying to accomplish.

I'll try it.

Thanks,
    Steve

10. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I fish with abu's and tighten my drag to the max.I just cast,set the clicker,tighten the line and push the button to disengage the spool.When a fish takes my bait I pick up me rod,turn the handle(1/4 turn or so-locks the spool)set the hook and drag em in.Works fer me,hope this helps:cool2:

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I'm with everyone else on this issue....:smile2:

12. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I learned the hard way Saturday night about not setting my drag properly. Since I dont catch many fish I did not set my drag and had it set too tight. Well my bobber was moving very slowly so I picked up my pole to see what was what and it felt like I hooked a car, I was able to reel two or three turns then it was just solid, I did not try to bully him in just was gonna let him get tired and well he broke off cuz the drag was set too tight. Long story short.... That wont happen again. Think I need to change my tag to "tight lines with drag set" :lol: