Is this an albino flathead?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dinkbuster1, Feb 4, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this flat was caught some years back and at first we thought it might be an albino due to its really light color. the photo doesnt do it any justice but it was a lot lighter than it looks, even had pinkish colored eyes. we left it overnight in a "keep sack" to see if it would darken but it never did. we assumed it wasnt an albino because it wasnt pure white, but i just seen a pic of a Wel's cat that is called an albino but isnt purely white either. below is a pic of each....

Attached Files:

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Dude, thats why flatheads get called yellowcats. I have caught several that were very light skinned, just about completely yellow. Although they never had pink eyes though. I guess that could be an albino.

3. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Slim,

A catfish wouldn't darken back up in that short amount of time. Weeks we would be the earliest. That Flathead hadn't been spending much time in cover and had been exposed to light..

Josh

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    From what I understand if the eyes are pink is the key, the fish isn't always pure white. But thats just what I have been told, I'd just like to catch one.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Standard Yellowcat.. They will take on the color of what they are hiding by. and do change colors.
    Pete

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Looking at the background in the pic tells me that this one was living in a sandy bottomed snag. These fish are ambush preditors and what better way to catch a meal than to blend in with it's surroundings.
    You stated that it's "eyes were light pink". A true albino's eyes are bright pink. You can take a fish and turn it a certain way in the sun or in a light of some sort and get that light pink look you were describing, I have seen this many times.
    True albino's have a genetic missfire (a complete lack of pigmentation), This is why you don't see many of them caught. They have no way to camiflage themselves from preditors and thus usually don't survive unless they find a really good place to hide really fast.

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Josh, I have caught a lot of flatheads or where I live YELLOWCATS. That is a slang name, some flatheads are darker than others. I have caught them almost black. It depends on the water they come out of and the depth. Just look at the one in my avatar. It came from around 40' of water. I could post some pics of some darker ones. Flatheads are like blues, they match there surroundings. SOme people call blues, mississippi whites, they are all BLUE cats.

8. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I thought it depended on how much sunlight they received sorta like bass.. I know what yellowcats are.

Catfish get all kinda different names. I just like the kind with whiskers!!!:cool::cool::):):p:p

9. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

flatheadsbecome differnt colors becuse of the water they come from, around here they get green gray yellow black and light brown.but they are all still just the same ole flathead

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    First one doesn't look like a flattie... if it is it would be a world record if the weight on it is correct. The second one is a flattie, but just looks very light in coloration and probably not a true albino.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dinker pictured below is the Yellowest Flat I've caught. It was caught around here. Not big at all, but one of the nicest looking cats I've caught. For some reason to me personally, this is one of my favorite catches.

12. leprachaun7898

leprachaun7898 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if the eyes r pinkish to a red color it is most likely is an albino cat. the skin does not have to be white to be an albino. they range from yellow to a really brite white colors. i may be new at fishing for cats but i do know my fish. i used to raise exotics and endanger fishes and cats were my main fish i had. i have raised 3 albino cats and the only thing on them were the same were the eyes. hope that helps ya any.