Is this a Striper?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Blakemo, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I caught this along the bank of the Arkansas river using night crawlers and I thought you could only catch stripers below dams but im pretty sure this is a striper? If it is could I regularly catch stripers in the river?

[​IMG]

and a drum

[​IMG]

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I think it is one. And yes you could. If they are below the dam more then likely they are above them too. Unless its a fish that just migrates up stream. Stripers are found in most of the waters in oklahoma.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well....that is definetly a striper! Striped Bass or as we call them here in Kentucky and Tennessee....Rockfish! The rivers are usually a great place to fish especially if they have stripers! We catch them below dams and at coal burning facilities known as steam plants. We also catch them in our lakes. They can be found just about anywhere with deep waters and moving currents, with plenty of bait fish. Good luck!:cool2:

4. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Striper he is here in florida we have a hybrid it stipes are kinda broken up they call them sunshine bass they git bigger than the normal strippers theyare fun to catch in the winter

5. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
  6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep thats a striper. Dang that drum was full of somethin' too.:cool2:

7. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks I thought that's what it was but wasn't sure. Whats the best bait for them? Id like to catch some bigger ones!

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks like a striper to me. Do you have white bass there?

9. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use whole live skipjack to catch the big ones. Or live shad will work as well. They will also take cut bait, but prefer live baits. Also look into getting your self some jigs with swim baits on them. They work great as well. I fished exclusively with artificial for stripers last year and had a great year.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There are lots of different types of bait that will work on larger stripers. If your looking to catch stripers in the 30 & 40 lb range....I would recommend live skipjacks or cut baits work well. If your after stripers in the 10-20 lb range I have had good success using artificials such as white buck-tail jigs or swim shads or white twister tails. Many times I have caught stripers from 2 lbs up to 15 lbs on chicken livers or small pieces of cut baits. Heres a few pics from my striper album. I ve been a striper fanatic since I caught my first striper in 1984.:cool2:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1008.

11. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yes that is definately a striper... I caught this one 2 days ago also :cool2:

Attached Files:

12. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wow did you catch that at keystone?

13. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Yep Striper, I cut my teeth fishing that river near Bixby, if you really want to catch some big ones fish it hard in Febuary, countdown Rapalas or crimp weights on a Redfin to get it down and hang ON!!!!