Is this a smallmouth bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by xposedguts, Oct 13, 2007.

1. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    and are they good cut bait for channel cats?

Attached Files:

2. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    Yep, that's a small bass alright. Before considering using bass for bait check with your local game regulations first. Bass are considered a "game fish" in most states and using a "game fish" for bait could get you a heck of a ticket in some cases.

BTW, I've secretly used small bass for bait and never got a single bite. I'm not saying a channel cat won't eat one, just that a channel or blue never bothered to touch mine.

Steve

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    please dont waste a bass as bait!!! catch ya some bluegill!!! also just lip him with your fingers he wont bite!!!!

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Im with biga dude! Dont hold a smallmouth like that gills are better bait anyway.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I've agree with the rest use Bluegills for bait, Bass are illegal to use for bait here they are a game fish.

6. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    :crazy: GAK

please dont start choppin' up smallies for bait. Im not opposed to eatin' a few ,but bait

no....thats just wrong :001:

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    na dont use the bass as bait, use some gills like the rest of the guys suggested, people fish for bass like you fish for catfish, now i know you wouldnt want them using catfish for bait to catch the bass would ya? (plus they dont work as well, :wink: and you get a big fine, and trust me the fine aint worth catchin no fish, id know :big_smile:

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

Exposedguts, I use up to 10" smallies and largemouth for shovelhead bait, live. They are very good bait especially if caught in the water you are fishing. Technically I don't think you can use them as cut bait, but live should be no problem. For channels you will want to go small. Here are two address for the state of Illinois, check them out well and make up your own mind. Always be aware of your regulations..

http://dnr.state.il.us/fish/digest/digest.pdf
    http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/education/fish/sunfish.htm

9. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    woah you got em to work??? i used em once or twice, even though u aint supposed to but i didnt have a nibble??? of course i used large mouths???

10. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for the info guys, i didnt use him as bait i was just curious. Around here i use sunfish for bait

11. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    you can you use yellow bass for bait in texas. they are abundant and there is no bag limit.

12. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    I wouldnt feel right using bass for bait either. Sunfish on the other hand, I dont mind a bit! Too easy for them to overcrowd the water!

13. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I was thinking that looked like a meanmouth, but i could be wrong. I'm a catfisherman though! I don't think using one as cut would work even though it is illegal.

14. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Looks more like a Kentucky spotted bass, I know it doesn't have spots on it, some of them don't have many spots at all.

15. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Ask Ray Scott of B.A.S.S. He'll get a kick out of that question. LOL
    :eek:oooh:

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yes. thats a smallmouth guarenteed. not spotted striped or psycodelic. its a smallmouth bass. in illinois they are to be IMMEDIATLY released between april 1st to june 15th. ALL OF THEM REGUARDLESS OF SIZE. keep that in mind. new law around 2002 to boost numbers. and please dont use them foe bait. smallmouth bass are slow growers. a 4lb smallie takes 10 years to reach this size. and im not guessing. that comes from the seintific studies. for all of ya that whine about killing a 20year old flathead this aint no different. there are a game fish and i can bet bait will cose ya if mr warden showes up. bottom line not a good bait weather ity works or not.

just my .02 cents.

Daily catch limit is 6 bass, either singly or in the aggregate. In rivers and
    streams (excluding the mainstem of the Mississippi, Ohio, and Wabash Rivers)
    the daily creel can contain no more than 3 smallmouth bass. In streams and
    tributaries statewide except for the Mississippi, Ohio, Wabash and Illinois
    Rivers, all smallmouth bass must be immediately released between April 1 and
    June 15. There is no statewide size limit.

right from the regs book netmanjack posted.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In ohio use can use any fish for bait as long as it's legally caught from the same water...I dont use them, but I hear they are good live baits for flatheads.

18. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    looks like the large mouth that we catch in utah they are gooood eatin not good bait. you can tell if it is a largemouth by how green it is. a smallmouth is more brown and likes rock piles.

19. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Dan,

That's looks like a very young Largemouth Ba$$ to me, but what do I know. :surrender: (LoL)
    :wink:

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    in indiana we can use any(legaly caught) stream caught bass for bait as long as its 12+ in. most lakes are 14in min. size limit. i usually bait up with gills or chubs though.