Is this a prop problem?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fat_fish55, Apr 30, 2007.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    didnt know where to post this
    i have a 1970 25hp motor
    the first few trips i took it it ran great with no problem
    saturday near the end of the day something happened
    at low speeds it would be fine then when i gave it some gas the motor would rev up but the boat stop moving almost like the prop was slipping
    it happened on my old 10 hp also with 1 prop but not the other
    anyone know the problem?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would almost bet the rubber in the prop has deteriorated and the prop just spins and you go nowhere fast. Surely sounds like that to me... on small motors, it may mean the shear pin has separated also. Check these two items...they both require the removal of the prop - no big thing.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That 1970 motor doesn't have a shear pin but it does have a rubber hub. Take the prop off and look inside at the rubber bushing and see if there are small rubber pieces easing out from under it. What I do is take a black magic marker and make a mark all the way from the inside where the shaft comes thru to the out side where the prop hub stops and the blades begin. I then run the prop and when it does as you said I look at the marks to see if they are still lined up and if not off to the prop shop for a re hub.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Why is there an ad to the right of this thread that say "How far is too far, on the first date".

Hell, from what I can remember, it's as far as you can get without getting yer butt kicked.

Now, about your prop, sure sounds like a spun prop hub.

Just in case ya'll were thinking I was bs'n about the ad, here's the link http://www.chemistry.com/chemistryl...erid=2001736&gclid=CImtqYLs64sCFQc1gQodBwR2Pg

I was gonna fill out the survey, but I don't really give a damn.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    kc it sounds as if you have spun the prop to me , mine done that and the guy at the sop removed the plug wires held the fly wheel and stepped on the prop with one foot and it moved he said it shouldnt and i sent $65 for a rebuilt prop , and the problem is gone