Is this a good spot for flathead catfish???

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by crazyKat, Aug 23, 2007.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i went out in the ohio river yesterday from noon till 6. yea it was hotttt. and i found a spot that has right on the bank a old tugboat with a old dock on the side the dock is probably 20 feet out in the river and up against it is a huge pile of drift wood probably 5 feet high and 20 feet out in the water. its 15 to 20 feet deep up against the wood. i fished this spot yesterday at noon. caught a 1 pound channel and 5 pound channel in first 5 minutes on shad guts. had couple more bites then nothing. went on up river and caught some shad for bait and went back to the spot. used cut bait. had a few small hits then boom pole bent double. pulled in a 20 pound carp on cut shad. lol and no more bites. would this be a spot at night to fish some live bluegill up against that drift wood and dock??? for flat heads?

2. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    sounds like a great spot to me. i wish i could find one here like that. good luck let me know how you come out, john

3. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    would it be better at night when the sun is down?

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jody, welcome to the BOC. Yes, the bigger flatheads tend to feed better at night when the daytime temperatures are hot like they are now. About the only time I have done well for bigger flatheads during the day is during prespawn and in the rain. Vern

5. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    welcome jody i think that would be a great spot it sounds pretty good of a spot.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i think this spot sounds terrible. i would never fish there again. in fact i think you should send me the gps co-ordinates and forget it ever exsists.:wink: seriously i would definately, DEFINATELY fish this spot after dark.

7. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol yea im gonna try it tonight. i caught me sum bluegill and cut them up and got them soaking in shad guts. gonna try that and guts and sum live bluegill tonight.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jody, It sounds like an ok spot to me. If you want I can come down and we can fish it one night and see if its even worth bothering with. LOL JK Man you gotta fish that thing a few times with the biggest live baits you can catch. Set up, cast to the bank, toward the center of the pile, and a couple out off the edge where it meets the river flow. If you give it some time and a couple trips you will catch flatheads there.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The new wave of fishermen are now saying large cats will bite just as good during daylight as at night. It is all in how the bait is presented to the fish. There are a couple of video's (3 I have seen) showing the guys catching large flatheads in the heat of the day. Main thing about flatheads is they prefer live bait. Not saying they won't take cut bait, stink bait, or dough bait, just that their preference seems to be live bait. I'd try the hole in daylight also with some perch (bluegills - if legal in your state) and then try it at night also. You may be surprised.

10. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like a great spot! When you catch all the monsters be sure to show your pics.Would like to see how the spot produced.

11. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i tried it last night with fresh cut bait. for about 2 hrs. no luck. gonna go out sunday and try live bluegill. talked to another member who pulled his boat up last night and set with me for a spell. he said in the winter its a good spot but he hasnt had much luck any other time. he also thinks that a huge flat should be under it but he hasnt seen one caught out of it yet. gonna keep trying it till i land a big one. 2 channels but nothing else out of the spot so far.

12. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I thought what a find till you said you were catching small channels that changed my mind. Maybe put your bait in different places to see if a big boy is hiding . My opinion you keep catching small ones thats all that is there unless the ol man of the sea is hiding inside the boat. Good luck to you and keep us posted.