Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Is this a good deal on a pontoon boat

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Whistler 
#1 ·
I am looking at a 2000 partykraft 4 seat fishing model with couch, sink, changing room, 2 livewells, 50 hp 2stroke 2000 yr johnson outboard motor. He wants $9750.00. He put a new powerpack on the motor and checked out the impeller, lower unit for water. The boat is in extremely good shape. Motor and boat has 15 hrs on it. Is this a good deal?

#6 ·
I'll let Bobpaul and Bubba comment here as they are far more expert.I would say the 50 hp on a 22 ft with all the things you list is going to be underpowered and you probably will want some more hp in the future.Secondly I would question why an engine with only 15 hrs on it needed a new power pack.Still the price is good in my opinion for that particular boat but that is just me.:) :rolleyes:

#8 ·
i test drove it yesterday. The 50 hp is enough. I drove it around in 25 mph wind and it performed to my satisfaction. The owner is suposed to fix the changing room pistons that keep it upright. They are weak and need replaced. The fuel tank will not take fuel at a full rate. It blows back out of the spout. It is a built in fuel tank. I think maybe the vent line is stopped up or something. Other than that it seams to be in good shape.

#10 ·
Well, when I bought mine new about 6 years ago I paid 17,000 for it. Mine is a 24 foot Premier with a 75HP Honda on it. Mine is a fishing model too. Though it hasn't found many lately! Not sure how anyone else would feel about it, but I'd say it's a bit overpriced. You're talking 10,000 for a 6 year old boat and motor. 15 hours means it's been sitting most of it's life which isn't always a good thing. Crawl under it and check out the deck and make sure it's not in any stage of rot. Check out every electrical component on the boat. Livewell pump, both in auto and manual. Lights all the way around and if there are dock lights them too. Tach, speedo, trim gage and all other instruments. I had to get the Tach replaced on mine two years ago, and trust me, you don't want to have to do that. And this is just me, but if it's been sitting that much, make them change the water pump too. For that price you should get a very near new boat, not just in the hours on the engine, but the condition of the entire rig. And make sure to shop around if that's the first one you've looked at. See how that price compares to others around there. And for that price, get at least some kind of warranty, even if for only 30 days. And try to wear it out in that time too. And just for grins, make him pull the plugs on the pontoons half way up the boat ramp and if you see any water at all, have it fixed before you buy it. I can tell you leaky pontoons are a big pain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.