Is this a channel Cat?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by FREESPOOL, Jul 13, 2008.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Me and a buddy went out to the lake last night for a little channel cat fishing. All we wound up catching is a whole bunch of little bullhead, and 5 channels. :roll_eyes: Oh, and one little guy which we thought was a stick until we got it up to the boat and it hissed at us. :crazy:
    Anyways, I've caught about 3 or 4 catfish on the lake this year that just don't look like a channel cat to me. Their head seems kind of flat and wide, and they are colored almost like a blue. Here's a picture of one we caught last night up next to a "normal" looking channel cat. What do you guys think? Channel cat? We call him Lumpy. :smile2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Channel Cat definitely, the anal fin is that of a channel... So Dan, what became of the snapper???

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    That's a channel cat after spawning looks like to me. Turned colors like a blue and it has lost all it's mass and looks skinny like it is annorexic.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree with Kevin 100%! Anorexic Post Spawn Male...:smile2::smile2::smile2:

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    ....After you played heck getting it out of the net:smile2:

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    the one with the funny head is a male and the other is a female. both channels

7. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Thanks, I kind of figured it had to be a channel. Just didn't look right to me. :eek:oooh:
    We cut the hook off, and shook the snapper out of the net back in the water after the photo session. :smile2: Afterwards, I thought my neighbor would have loved to make some stew out of him. I have no desire to taste that thing.
    He came out of our cove at the lake. Next time I bump into something hard while swimming, I think I'll move away quite quickly. :tounge_out:

8. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Was pond fishing last weekend owner was on a crusade to get rid of the snapping turtles in his pond... caught a big one on liver. Introduced Mr. Turtle to Mr. Benelli. Gave him 2 rounds 12 gauge 00 buck at close range.That is a swollen head briused up male channel cat. Awful skinny though. I fish where there are feeders and all the channels look like sumo wrestlers. They all got big beer guts on em.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. agree. the swolen head male channel. lots of folks mistake them for blues. the lake here folks have told me has blues in it. yet the dnr books on it has no mention, there not native in the area. and out of thousands apon thousands ive caught seen and pics. not one blue.:wink:

10. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    That's a channel!!:big_smile:

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nice fish bro, and the turtle looks tasty.... lol...rollo

12. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    It's a Channel.The males get that swelled head during spawn to signify their readiness to spawn.

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Gotta agree with the BOC Fish Identifying pros. The top is a male and the bottom is definently a channel cat too. Males become blue, almost black color phase during the spawn. Sometimes mistaken for a blue cat. Always look for the rounded anal fin to indentify it for a channel. Count the rays. Channel Cats will have 24 to 29 rays on the margin of it's anal fin, with the blue cat having 30 or more rays with a straighter margin on the anal fin.

Hope this helps.
    Mark.

14. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Yup, have to agree with everyone else. Looks like a post spawn male to me. Here's a 12pound male I caught 2 years ago.

Attached Files: