is this a blue catfish for shure

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Aug 17, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this thing to me does not look like any blues ive seen on the boc,what yall think male spaning channel or blue, the fin was long and sqward off but look at the head,and i dont think its a hybrid

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      43.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    yep, sure is. Jake the easiest way to tell if it is a blue or not is to count the anal rays. Blues will have 30 or more. Nice job on the catch.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Yes Sir that is a blue . Congradulations on the catch .

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    oh i caght this months ago,but i just noticed now its head looks like a channel

5. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    That is a blue I would say,almost sure.

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes thats a blue.. dark colors are just common cases you see every now and then..

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well the coler is not what made me think it was the lips head, not as small or sloped as most im shure it was a blue,but hybrid is the qwestion, my freind has a pond with blue chan hybrid x, they get bigger and look like fat channls

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Anal fin will be your big give away. If it is straight instead of rounded is a good indiciation that is it blue over a channel... also the number of anal fins as mentioned earlier.

Nice fish nontheless!

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea its not a channel , but i cant find a fish that looks like this , its fin as that of a blue and the inside of the mouth,its a blue, but the qwestion is it a hybrid blue, if you look at my albums theirs three pics of it

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    here is another pic of it , see that head thats weird for a blue

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      26.8 KB
      Views:
  11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Yes I think thats a Blue.

12. offshore_angler

offshore_angler New Member

State:
    SW TENNESSEE
    some channelcat's have a grayish tint to them,exspecially around dam's

13. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    that head kinda reminds me of a channel:confused2: with that overbite, I didnt think blues had that much of a overbite:confused2:

14. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    looks like a blue to me. Congrats.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea this thing has got me tumped its one of 2 things a blue or a blue channel hybrid,the overbite is very strange for a blue so my mind wont rest till i find out, the lake has all three species stocked in it so its very possible they are hybridizing ,ive seen bluespulled out of here that are like all the ones you see, but this thing is odd,wen i caght it it was blue as the sky,then turned gray, its in my pond, i manage, i might jug him out and release him back in the lake, snap a few more pics

16. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Jake we catch a lot of different looking fish, but they are all blues. Kind of like people, no 2 look just alike. Counting the rays would be your best id method. Weve caught blues with big heads, small heads, big overbites and small overbites, some were really short and fat with almost no space between the end of the anal fin and tail, they were all still blues. My youngest son got a 40 pounder last winter that was only about 38 inches long but as big around as a beach ball, it was 40 pounds on 2 different sets of digital scales. It was a very strange looking blue.

17. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    It's quite possible that it is a hybrid.

18. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Im positive that is a hybrid...I have seen alot of them and that looks exaactally the same!!!

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    While channel and blue cats can be hybridized in a lab, it is a complex process. These two species do not breed/reproduce together in the wild.

It is a BLUE CAT dude!:wink:

20. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Where exactly have you "seen a lot of them"? This doesn't occur in the wild and is even not very successful in a hatchery pond environment. The eggs must be collected manually from the female channel as does the sperm from the male blue. Then begins a long complex process to hatch the fry.

It has not thus far proven to be economically feasible to obtain enough quantities to support commercial endeavors.

Hybridization has been fiddled with since about 1966 but not on a large scale that I am aware of.

Enlighten me if you can point me to a reliable source of information. If so, are any DNR's stocking them and where?