is there such thing as too big?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by beakus, Nov 7, 2006.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i've been wondering if i should switch to pro line of stay with 40# suffix.my wondering leeds me to the question,is it more fun if your using 100#line and a winch for a reel or stay with mono and risk the loss and enjoy the teasing if you will see whats on the other end,any thoughts?

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I fish almost exclusively 30 pound big game. I love fighting fish and having to wear them down, which is why I love spinning reels and use them almost exclusively too. But IF you are in heavy cover I would recomend a much heavier line and casting reels, so you can muscle the fish out before you lose it.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats a question only you can answer brother. i think we would all agree that light line is definatly fun. you just have to remember ,the longer you fight a big fish the less likely it is to survive.

4. Catfish Killer

Catfish Killer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    Well, what I do is use 80 LB test and keep the drag set very light. I like to fight the fish and know the line probably wont break lol. I don't think there is such thing as to big. Some people just like to know the fish will probably end up on the dinner plate.

5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i use to wonder the same thing,but after a recent trip to the river and me and my friend having my line and his rod broken,i dont think u can go to big.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    John, believe me when I tell you catching a 40+ lb river flathead on 80lb power pro is a blast. I use berkely E-cat fours or BOSS fours with abu 7000s. It is a bit of overkill for fish under 25lbs. But it is needed if you plan on landing fish over 50 or 60 lbs tight to heavy cover. That set up may seem like a winch and a pole to you but till you try it on a madd as heck 40 pounder please reserve your judgment. On the other hand if the largest fish you may encounter is 40 or under stay with what your using. I expect to tangle with a 30 or better every time I go out, and I need to be prepared if I ever get lucky or good enough to hook a 60 or 70+ lb flathead. If you aren't prepared for that big fish, he will exploit any weakness in your tackle. Be it line,swivel, rod,or hook.

7. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    For big fish and snaggy waters, I go heavy. How many records have been lost due to failed equipment? But this year I had a blast downsizing my tackle for the mid-size to small channel cats. As in 8lb. line and medium-light action rod with a spinning reel. I'm an ugly stick, spider stealth, abu garcia man most of the time though.

8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My opinion is, it all matters on what you are fishing. As mentioned, heavy cover areas, you need heavier tackle. I have been there, done that. You can land 60 lb fish on 20 lb line, but depending on your skill level when it comes to fighting fish, you may never land it. Cover is the other big issue. If you need to horse a big fish away from heavy cover, you will never do it with smaller line. I fish water with chances at 50 lb plus flatties, but I don't go over 30 lb line. Just my preference though. :cool2: I have never lost any big fish due to not enough power yet. All my big losses have been due to my error.:sad2:

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    40lb mono is not light line. Compared to 100lb PowerPro, 40lb mono is twice as thick, and IMO will have as good or better knot strength and abrasion resistance.

I would not switch to PP just for strength. Better reasons would be for the thinner line to cut down on current drag and get more line on the spool, or to eliminate line stretch. I use PowerPro for those reasons, but itÂ’s really just personal preference.

10. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    it is all personal preference thing me i use light line and heavy line depends on the fishing conditions i am in

11. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use 30lb big game most of the time. I use a 20lb leader for my hook. On my two big bait rods I use 50lb and a 30lb leader. I did get a 18 lb flathead in on a rod and reel one night but most of the really big fish I hang find a snag before I can get them in. I've lost some good ones. It's a blast!

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I forgot to mention one other advantage of heavier line. The quicker you can land the fish the less stress it has to endure. Less stress to the fish gives it a better survival rate when you let him go.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Right now, I am using 20 lb stren line, I dont see a need right now to go over that yet. maybe I will if I line a big cat.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Use the type and size line you have confidence in. Start in the mid range and adjust up or down until you are satisfied . I know the Sufix line you are useing is a good performance line and will work for you, but in the end you have to be confident. I use 30#Big Game on 7000C3 and adjust according to the waters and the size of fish found in that body of water.

15. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 30# and 40# line and nothing else.. its strong enough to pull them from cover but light enough to break if you dont know what you are doing... i have lost 50 on 50 pound test but havent had one break the 30 or 40.. but i use Abu Garcia 6000 and 6500 with the 30 and 40 pound test and i use a havier test line with my baitrunners.. gives you the since that you have to do it right in order to get the fish in the boat or on land and it give you the since that at any moment he can break your line and be done with ya..... Keeps the challenge and the fish