Is there still alot of debris on the Missouri River?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SEMOcats, May 15, 2007.

1. SEMOcats

SEMOcats New Member

State:
    Jackson, Missouri
    Watched the river today in Cape and I've never seen that many trees, logs, etc. floating down. I'm just wondering how safe the river will be for this weekend's tournament down at New Madrid.

2. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Matt,

We went out this evening on the river here at New Madrid for a couple hours. You are right about the debris. I've never seen it where you just about couldn't motor through. Fortunately it is more in the middle than on the shoreline but it is rough.

3. Rootwad

Rootwad New Member

State:
    Platte City, MO
    I was on the flooded Platte yesterday and dodging trash. The river yesterday was just coming into its banks and corn stalks, trees, and what ever was floating in the fields for the last week was running in. I would say if the Missouri didn't have trash in it yesterday it would today.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I drove to the Missouri today, Monday May 14th, around St Louis / St Charles and it is still full of logs, trees and god knows what else!! I wouldn't want to be on the river with all that debris right now...I witnessed several VERY LARGE trees floating down river...I mean trees with all the branches and root wads that were probably 80 footers...trees that would completely demolish my little 20 foot boat!!

That was in the Missouri, the Mississippi above the MO is rather clean though, so for your sake I hope the debris gets caught up somewhere before it gets to you!:smile2:

5. deerhunter56

deerhunter56 Guest

well guys im in leavenworth kansas and ive noticed how many logs and debris has been floating also never seen that many... but this has been makin me wonder, all of this debris and where it is goin if yall think aint there dams along the rivers??? cant all this debris hit that and do some real major damage???

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I STOPPED BY THE RIVER THIS MORNING ON MY WAY TO WORK
    I WENT TO THE MISS. RIVER OFF HALL ST. AND THE DEBRI HAS LET UP A LITTLE, OR ITS GETTING CAUGHT UP UP RIVER. EITHER WAY YOU GUYS BE CAREFUL THOSE DIKES ARE STILL COVERED AND CAN BE TRICKY IF YOU DONT KNOW THE RIVER. GOOD LUCK!!

7. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info up there. We will have a mess for quite awhile as it will stack up infront of the parked barges and hopefully get hung up on the wing dikes for better cover..
    Get stocked up on your egg sinkers so you can roll it under the jams.. When you fish in cover like that, shorten your leaders as I will go to just the egg and hook tied to the end with no leader.

8. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis

thanks for the tip vince

9. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    These rivers now at flood stage are very dangerous even for the most experienced boat teams out there. We do have various technology to help us with the barge maps being on line that you can download and study. That extra 10 minutes of looking at them to know exactly where they are might save your life. We have all heard this before as I have lost a few of my friends on the water in the past few years. So take the extra time to have a good mental picture of where you will be fishing and make sure your equipment is in top working order. I’d rather for you to think yea, yea, ok from reading this rather than to miss seeing you at the next outing somewhere on the water and not in the water….

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    havent been out in a while hope the water is going down by now