Is there something in the water?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by daniel-delarosa, Jul 10, 2008.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Some people told my wife the other day that the lakes in Oklahoma have some kind of killer bacteria or something in them. They also told her that the North Canadian River has some junk in it also, including meningitis. I haven't seen anything on the news or in the paper or on the net. Ya'll know anything about this? She has offically cut me off of going to the lake!:crazy:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Grand has a bunch of catfish that need a good lip yankin.:wink: I ain't heard of anything else.

3. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    im 40 yrs old and have fished GRAND LAKE since i was around 6 or 7. never have i got sick or my family got sick. so i dont know what they are talking about.

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Daniel- Go back to the lake. If something were wrong with the water then the Department of Environmental Quality would be aware of it. I work in the water and wastewater industry as a consultant and I am not aware of any problems with lake or river water. Your wife has heard some unfounded hear say. I have friends in the wastewater industry on Grand Lake and they have not mentioned any problem. Go back to the lake, fish and have fun.

catman george

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It is amazing how rumors get started. I would agree that if there is something wrong with the fish/water it would be posted and someone would be there doing something about it.

6. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    channel 8 in tulsa around the first of the month did say something about bacteria, but it involved swimming and said most every summer small kids are pron to get infections from a bacteria that gets in the water. people are hearing a lot of news about e-coli and other things. i`d be more afraid of driving into the north side of tulsa than the water. your chances are alot greater getting shot than getting sick swimming, the report said for kids to ear ears and nose plugs if they were swimming somewhere other than a swimming pool

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri

Liah!!!!:smile2: Ain't nobody got dat ugly in no 4o yeahs.:crazy: Call in sick tomorrow an lets go fishin. Also i need a lil photography work when ya get the chance. The masterpiece is complete.:smile2:

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Daniel...

My ex would find any reason she could to keep me home instead of go fishing. She hated fish and wouldn't even let me cook one in the house. We stayed married for almost 2 years until she broke one of my best fishing rods over her knee...:angry:

You can find anything for evidence that something is wrong or bad if you look hard enough. Any catfish will make you sick if you wait long enough between killing it and eating it.:smile2:

Seriously, if there is a problem found in bacterial count or water quality, the EPA would shut off the water supply and notify the public with a "boil order".

9. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Albert- IT TOOK YOU 2 YEARS? GEE, maybe 2 months, BUT 2 YEARS! U B slipping. You are correct the DEQ would announce a boil order to protect the public. Regarding the harmful bacteria getting in the water, the bacteria are ALREADY there. The environmental conditions are forever changing and when conditions are right then the bacteria will have explosive growth. When this happens in the summer then we have problems. The ear ache problem is easily remedied. Dissolve boric acid crystals in water then add a good dose of rubbing alcohol to the solution. WHen anyone gets out of the water use an eye dropper and add the solution to your ears and everything should be fine. I used to use this solution when I scuba dived in Tenkiller during the late 60's and early 70's and I NEVER had an ear ache. Hope this helps someone.

catman george

10. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Proably more bad stuff in your own drinking water than in local lake in ppm parts per million. Are you fishing or drinking the lake water? Go fish, go swim, take a shower and relax. Sunburn is a bigger worry.

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The drinking water that comes out of your faucet has been chlorinated and contains a residual amount of chlorine as per Dept of Environmental Quality and EPA standards. Unless you have your own well your water is chlorinated and fluorinated. This is why you do not put your minnows in city water because they will be fins up REAL quick.

catman george

12. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Thanks for all the replies fellas. Maybe she will stop freaking now. I heading to the lake!:big_smile:

13. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    hey! hey! cant call in . ill send the wife over to take some pics. cause im too ugly to get out of the dand house.:smile2:

14. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    We tried to find something in the water tonight (catfish), but didn't find anything, not any keepers anyway!

I haven't heard anything about Grand Lake, but with all the flooding that's been going on, there's no telling what's floating down the rivers into the lake?

I would think, if they found anything, they would have some signs posted where people fish?

Ken

15. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

There's no telling what's in that North canadian river its probably the worst in the state, All the towns around it from New Mexico to to Lake Eufalula are dumping crap into it. The South Canadian isn't much better.

16. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There are 29 towns that discharge into the So. Canadian River between Canton Lake and OKC. This water goes into Lake Hefner and Overholser for OKC's drinking water. The water coming out of these plants is cleaner than the river water. These towns must meet certain EPA requirements for this discharge. So i would not be too concerned about the fish, they are ok to eat.

catman george

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I understand plants discharge and often pollute. After doing environmental work the past 8 years (prior to returning to masonry) i can also say that monthly DMR's are looked at closely in our area. Certified labs did my analytical work and they too are monitored closely by ADEQ and EPA guidelines. The main creeks that feed Elk river and buffalo creek which flow into Grand are cleaner this year than i've ever seen them. All the rains and floods have swept them like the kitchen floor. I'm probably more concerned with the septic systems leaching in Grand than anything. That and the trashy lookin boat docks that are fallin in. They make good habitat,,,but a terrible eye sore.

18. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

You're right, they've always said that treated waste water is safe, but if I had the water out of my septic tank sent off and filtered, treated, and returned to me in a plastic bottle with a stamp of EPA approval I'd still have reservations about drinking it.

19. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    COUNTRY HART- If you know what a DMR is you must be a wastewater operator. Congrats. You never receive the respect that you deserve. There is some concern with leaching septic tanks on Grand Lake. I am doing some work on Grand Lake to improve the sewer system on several additions. I am glad to hear that Elk river is looking better. I have not had the privilege of floating or fishing the Elk river.

catman george