Is there flat heads here

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kingdawes, Aug 29, 2007.

1. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have recently been going to a 184 acre lake called sympson lake. It is located in bardstown ky.

The reason that I am telling you this is because when I go fishing there I usually only catch some channel cats and some blue gill. the ocasional rock bass.

Now everytime I go I always throw out a line pretty far out there for flat heads. I have never caught anything though. I usually use cut blue gill (normally the head) I wanted to know if my brothers and sisters had any opinion or thoughts on why I would not have even caught one flattie here. I have moved to different places and still know luck. The only thing that I can think of that could be holding me back is the lack of a boat to huntem down. I still think by now one would have happened along and found my blue gill.
    All of you opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I fish a small lake for flatheads too. I use a live bluegill when I am fishing for them and I am not casting very far, but the lake that I fish the deepest part is only 20 or 25 yards from the bank. I also fish all night and I've done my best at about 2 to 3 o'clock in the mourning. Is there any structure that you can see from the bank like trees, stumps or anything like that? We fish around a spillway, drain type thing that the lake has. If the lake that you are fishing has 1 of those I would recommend trying around it. Hope the info. helps you some!

3. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    instead of throwing way out their try literally a few yards off the bank. i switched to this tactic (only when fishing lakes) when targeting specifically flatheads and caught more fish. flatheads chase baitfish to the bank so they have nowhere else to go cornering them. when doing this you cant have a light on or talk loud they spook easy. make sure the bait your using is snipped or cut a little bit, i will cut one fin off a blugill or the spines off a bullhead to make them struggle. hope this helps

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    And there is the fact that there may not be any flathead in that body of water. You might try checking with the DNR and research the lake a bit, there are several smaller lakes around us and not all of them hold flatties, they are not fed by any means other than run-off and springs. so if they were not stacked there there wouldn't be any......ON THE OTHER HAND IF YOU KNOW THAT THEY ARE IN THERE THEN what the others have said would be a great start, AS I have also done better along a bank and channel set up. just my $0.01 worth :wink:

5. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks everybody for your advice. I will try to go closer to the bank.
    Also I do recall seeing one of those big drainage cylinders across the lake. I might try to get over there one day. I guess I could always get I little raft to load up and go over there.
    I did think at one point that there weren't any flats in the lake but I talked to another fisherman one trip and when asked he said that he has only gotten one out of there. I guess that does not nessecarily mean they are in there because someone could have put one in there.
    I like the lake, I do well with channel cat.
    Guess I will just keep my fingers crossed thanks guys

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Find some shallow water near some deep water with structure like log jams, or standing timber, and fish near the bank in the evening. If they are in there, you should eventually find one there. Virtually all of the flats that I've caught in just a few feet of water. Some less than a foot, almost all were less than 4 feet deep. They do go deep too, but in a lake from the bank, it would be easiest to catch them when they are activly feeding in the shallows. JMHO.