Is there ever too much stuff?

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by gargoil77, Jan 15, 2008.

1. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    When I go camping I think I take too much stuff with me. I usually go by myself and load up the back of my truck with the following: 10' boat, rods, tackle box, bait, battery, trolling motor, seat, anchor, two coolers, tent, chair, stove, lantern, fuel, plastic box full of supplies, bag of clothes, sleeping bag, a cot (sometimes), chair, two containers of water, battery operated radio, shepherds hook for the lantern, box of cast iron cookware, charcoal cooking table for the cast iron, bag of charcoal, food, case of water, plenty of beer and all the wood I can carry. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I usually do.
    Most of the time I'm worn out after getting it all loaded and don't feel like going camping knowing that it all has to be unloaded when I get there, loaded back up when I leave and unloaded again once I'm back home.
    So the question is...Is there ever too much stuff?

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    :smile2:Mark - You sound just like me! My buddies ask me if Im' going camping or moving? :smile2: Funny thing is guess who the guy is that everyone needs to borrow stuff from? :wink: I guess I just like to be prepared and it sounds like your the same way! :cool2:

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    im kinda the opposite. i pack light really light. "camping" to me is another word for "fishing". my rule of thumb is that if i take enough stuff in the boat to equal the amount of space a person would fill then i have taken too much. of course i sleep in the bottom of the boat in a sleeping bag so that eliminates the need for a tent. i take 1 spotlight, 1 flashlight. 1 small single burner and a small coffe pot that makes about 2 cups. 2 cans of beef stew, 1 container of pringles, fishing rods tackle etc. 1 icechest with beer/water, and 1 small radio. 1 sleeping bag which fits rolled into the livewell. if it is summer i wear flip flops, shorts, and a t-shirt, if its cold i wear layers, and my hunting boots.

i cant stand taking ppl out who spend 1 and a half hours setting up thier gear while i am fishing. if they dont wanna fish i drop them off at a sandbar and come check on them from time to time. if they want to grill and cook, then they should have gone to thier deck, not my boat. if they want to swim i will anchor in the middle of the river and they can have at it... for about 3 minutes.

growing up, i stuck with the boy scout motto--you can never be overprepared-or something like that. after the marine corps i learned that you can get by with very very little. i like to spend my time out fishing and relaxing. some ppl enjoy setting up tents and cots and turning nature into thier living room, not me. i will drink beer, fish, and watch you work for your "relaxing camping trip".

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Tis the cast iron dragging ya down.....if ya don't have hungry boy scouts or a flock of sheep, ya don't need cast iron, LOL.

5. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I don't always take the cast iron. I like to cook and when I'm not fishing I like to try something differant. Just something to do. Pass the time.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    To much stuff, whata talking about you can never have to much stuff.

7. seagrave

seagrave New Member

State:
    sc
    i thought it was just me carrying to much stuff...

8. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Nope. Not just you. I really think I'm going to cut back. I really hate to load and unload all that crap. Specially when it's just me. I can see it if I go w/ other people but I'd rather go alone.
    Extra New years resolution. Don't take what isn't needed.

9. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Mark
    Now my way is: you buy an old rattle trap van, full size, you build a bed in the back with storage under. Poles on the sides, old kitchen base cabinets with a small sink with jug underneath. Now mine is fixed up some from that, but I have had it 20+ years. The price of a big old vans now days is about free. The down side is the $3.00 gas, and 10 mph. When you get home you just go inside and clean up. When your ready to go just get in and turn the key. Luck

10. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Get the biggest truck you can afford, fill it up, then go lookin' for a trailer !! Who knows when you might just absolutly have to have a 10 speed blender or that VHS tape of The Mummys Revenge....

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It is like comparing my 10 ounce billfold to my wifes 32 lb purse. I can drive the Alcan highway to Alaska with just my billfold. Everything I need is right there.

Nancy can't go to the neighbors with a plate of cookies for someone who's Mother has died without taking that 32 lb purse. I don't know what is in there and I ain't gonna look.

Some of us can get by with a green house and some of us got to have it painted brown. I like to travel light cause there isn't hardly anywhere you can go anymore without running into another human being. If you don't have something you need, just borrow it or steal it.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    im worse than a woman when i go camping. iv got more crap than i ever use and take right down to my tss seasonings. i eat as good at the lake as i do at home if not better.

when i go camping or to a gathering i fill the truck bead full. hell if ya got it why not have it?

i could camp for a month or more with nothing more than a pole a knife a small tent a .22 and a pocket full of shells. and probably not loose much weight but when i went to catstock in 05 i took a window mount ac unit cause it was in the high 90's:big_smile:

13. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I always take every thing I can think of and take off.30 miles from home I remember most of the things I forgot.when I get to the camp site I remember the rest.lol ???? NEVER enough stuff.:wink:

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For all the folks that carry alot, you need to have a camper. Then all your stuff is located in one place and you don't have to pack it. I'm one of those that has lots of stuff. My truck has enough tools in it so I can rebuild it. lol
    My truck camper has the makings of a bait shop. Lots of extra reels/rods/bobbers/spare props/every size hook /extra sinkers/fillet knifes + enough food, canned goods and dry beans to feed an army. Then the frig has everything from ice cream to beer. lol

I cannot help it, I'm a pack RAT. But I DON"T GO HUNGRY and my only trips to town is for more fuel and to stop at a good all you can eat buffet. lol

15. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    If I go by myself it all has to fit on are in my backpack If I take the wife it all has to fit in a 28ft trvl. trl. Sometimes the 28ft is not enough room. :eek:oooh:

16. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i like to canoe down the river and camp on the side of the river and me and my girlfriend always pack real light we take what we will need did get an air mattress which i do suggest no more rocks to the back

17. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I keep all my camping gear in totes, I have my tote numbered from 1 to what ever, right now I think I have 6. I have a small pocket note book that has a list of the items that are in tote number 1. I just grab the tote that I may need for the trip that I am going. works well for me.

18. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'd rather pack it and not use it than to have to do without or go to town to buy it.

19. Kattt

Kattt New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey u guys here in oklahoma walmart is have'n a clearance sale on fish'n/camp'n stuff i got a propane oven lmao for only $30.00 so if the hubby wants buscuits with his eggs n bacon then bycracky he's got em lol it runs off those little bitty bottles of propane the same ones that u put on the lanterns good luck all

20. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    I normally try to get by with as little as possible. especially if im backpacking. Usually take a knife, camp stove, mess kit, tent, plenty of socks, first aid stuff, cloths, food and thats about it. Now if i can park right by the campsite and am going to be hanging around there most of the day I will pack everything i could possible "need" Theres a time and place for packing light and for bringing the kitchen sink :wink: