Is there anything but carp in the Mississippi River??

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by ravenloft420, Mar 17, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    we just got back from snaggin the mississippi a little while agO and caught nothing but asian carp. over 150 lbs in about an hour!! in the 15-30 lb range.
    15 the smallest and 29 1/2 being the biggest

is there even anything left in there?

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya those things are a mess. i do hear there good eats though. messing with nature, when will they learn. illinois river is full too.

3. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    ya I first started seeing them a few years after the flood of 93 when I was about 13 or so. is this how they were introduced?? I never heard the full story about it

back then we caught one and ate it and it was the boniest thing ever (Im suprised I survived lol) I mean it just seemed like there were bones everywhere,not even connected to the skeleton. just floating there. but I dont remember it tasting to bad.

anyone have any recipes?? or a part of there body thats not all bone?

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Do a Google search on "asian carp" and "recipes" and you'll get almost 800 hits. Recipes for frying seem to mostly recommend using fish of 1#-5# and scoring the bones; bones in the larger fish are too heavy to score easily. (So woundn't they be easier to find & remove while eating?)

Incidentally, it seems that there's some real solid interest in programs to grind up asian carp to make fish patties and feed them to inmates in prisons. (Sounds cheaper than balogna to me! Plus, it'll help thin out them critters--which critters, carp or inmates? Maybe both.)

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Here is a link http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2004/07/20.htm

good luck

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    A coworkers husband doesn't even snag for spoonbill anymore, he just goes after bigheads on the Missouri. They pressure cook all the meat down, season it and make fish patties out of it. They said they are amazing to eat and you don't worry about the bones that way.

I hope to get into some bigheads this year so I can try this out.

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    We got a bunch of carp several years ago and my mother canned them in quart jars. We had fish salad and fish patties for a good while after that. The bones were not hard after they were canned.

8. stressedcat

stressedcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Here is the bonafide way to fix carp and you will never get one single bone.1st take your freshly caught carp, or as we called them in Tex., bank fish, 2nd. take the carp and nail it to a board, prefrebly a flat and wide enough for the carp, 3rd build a good hot fire, open or in a BBQ grill, and place the board on the fire until the carp is done then remove the carp from the board and throw away the carp and eat the board. I hate fish bones:lol:

Great fishin this year y'all

Kirk

9. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    lol I hate fishbones to

10. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    i dont know about the Miss but up here in ohio they introduced grass carp in some of our lakes to control weed growth in the 80s and they did exactly that.They ate all the weeds-the fishing has suffered because of it.

11. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    lol I hate fishbones to

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I hope you didn't release any of these back in the water.
    These are highly invasive species that got introduced during a flood. They started out in some aquaculture ponds/lakes where they didn't cause any harm. When they got in the rivers they started eating all the shad's food and are causing problems. One problem that will be hurting us soon...
    Once they kill all the shad (by eating all their food) the catfish will be affected since their favorite food will be gone. People have been using these carp as bait and doing quite well with them though.

A new change to Missouri's law is that we can't use them live anymore. If you catch one you are not allowed to release them back into the water either. MDC wants them all dead.

13. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I as well, want them all dead hehe