Is there anyone who uses heaters 4 night fishing in the winter?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by THE CATFISH HUNTER, Nov 21, 2006.

1. THE CATFISH HUNTER

THE CATFISH HUNTER New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Is there anyone who use heaters 4 night fishing in the winter? we ues a heat demon hooked up 2 a propane tank. i have found that the propane starts freezing and u have 2 turn the tank down 2 keep getting safe heat (or the heat will start spitting). i'd like 2 know what kind of heat other night catfishers use??

thank you!

2. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i use the same setup as you are but i made a wrap for the tank out of insulation and a piece of fabric seems to help keep tank from getting to cold

3. THE CATFISH HUNTER

State:
    Tennessee
    did u use regular r-13 wall insulation superman?

4. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i don't remember the r value ( built it last year ) but yes it was left over from insulating my garage ceiling and i also use bungee cords to pull it tight a round the top and bottom

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You can buy a hot water heater blanket at Lowes and it works just fine as will any kind of flexible insulation.Propane is the most effective way to heat on a boat.An old quilt or balket will also do the job.Just catch 1 30lb fish every 45 minutes or so and you will stay nice and warm.:big_smile: :lol: :wink:

6. THE CATFISH HUNTER

State:
    Tennessee
    lol!!!!! jim if i could that i wouldn't a heater. lol!!!

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I use a power cat heater, it screws into the top of a small propane tank. I mainly use it in my fishing clam, when ice fishing.

8. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have one of those Coleman SportCat heaters. It's a little small but works great for putting under my feet and keeping kind of warm while ice fishing. I have friends that use those Mr. Heater portables and they seem to work pretty good for Ice shacks and tents - I might get one of those this year.

What we used to use when bank fishing was a coffee can with rolled up carboard soaked in wax. It worked pretty good, but I wouldnt take one on a boat or anything like that

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, so a couple questions here, I want to look into one of these portable heaters to put in my alluminum boat, so will these work? Looking for cheapest quality rig. At what temp does the Propane start spitting?? Here in Ohio, Ill fish into the lower 20's from shore and in the boat will fish down to about freezing.

Thanks, Salmonid

10. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    The wind will blow some of those out if it is facing the wrong way.A good jacket and bibs is what i use.

11. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So far, mine does not have a problem when the temp drops down below 0, but then again, while I am ice fishing, I tend to have a wind break or I am in an ice shack or tent. The same goes with the Mr. Heaters that I've seen used by my buddies. Also, I have a friend that uses his Mr Heater in his 20 foot Alumaweld while trolling - but he has a walk through windshield with full canvas covers on his boat.

12. THE CATFISH HUNTER

State:
    Tennessee
    well you are a better man than me as far as that goes, as for me i need heat!!!! thats my saying and i'm sticking to it!!! LOL !!!

13. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    We have a small Coleman Catalytic Heater we use while we are out fishing on our pontoon when it's cold.

We also use it to heat our tent if we are spinding the night out when it's cold.

14. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I use a Mr. Heater propane heater. It is made to hook up to the big 20 lb. propane tanks..... it puts off roughly 8,000-14,000 btu. I love it, it is the next best thing to !@#$#! :embarassed: