is there any skip jack?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by kissire911, Jul 24, 2009.

1. kissire911

kissire911 New Member

State:
    oklahome
    is there any skipjack herring in north east oklahome and if there is where are are they

2. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    all i know of is shad but don't know if their is a real big difference. I throw for shad all the time thats all i catch.

3. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am going to Eufala dam saturday to try and catch some,will let you know how it goes.Caught em last year this time,they were just small and my expereince is that big uns work better!

4. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    Not sure where it came from, but there was some laying on the sidewalk at gibson dam not long ago, so not to see it go to waste, my friend and I used it for bait! LOL

5. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Let me know how it goes. I need to get a mess of them for this winter. Blues down here love em.

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    You can catch them below Ft Gibson Dam. When they shut the water off I use minnows on an ultra lite R&R. When the water is running I use pink jigs.

7. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    Skipjack.... are they like shad?
    Or some type of herring or ?????

Q

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Fresh water herring

9. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We caught 10 on pink tube jigs.Couldnt get them to hit sabiki rigs.Kinda strange.And they didnt start hittin till 11 this morning.I talked to a guy that had been there night fishing and he said that they caught a bunch late yesterday eve and then again after dark.I hope this helps all my brothas get their baits for the fall and winter cattin.

10. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Brian; Did you catch them on the turbine side? I'm taking my long rod back down there with 2/10 PP line so I can cast a mile, 2 weeks ago the gar were so thick you could walk on e'm:crazy: and we had trouble gettin jigs down without a gar inhaling them.:eek:oooh:

11. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes,on the turbine side.You should have alot of fun with a long whippy rod.We would have caught more but had to go to nephews ball game in Prarie Grove.Gonna try again this weekend for em though.Good luck to ya.Oh, I love the poles you build.I dabble in rod building,and the poles you build are inspiring!!

12. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Thanks Brian; I'm usually buried in June/July, but this year has been way off! I think the early bout of heat had alot to do with that, Crappie rods have been keepin me afloat, cant figure out whats up with the Toughsticks? They usually are hot right now. Maybe need to run a sale?:crazy:

13. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The skippies are running below L&D16, but only in the first few hours of the morning... then they are gone.

Chartreuse or yellow seems to work rather well, as do the same colors with a blue or red head. No sandbass at the moment.

Good Luck and good fishing