Is there any real friends today

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Lynne, May 15, 2008.

1. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    When I was young I never had any real firends. I didn't trust people enough. The friends I had would use you when they needed you and not have anything to do with you when they didn't need anything. As I grew older I softened a lot and decided there was a lot of real nice people in the world and I gave friendship another chance. But you know, I learned that I was right in my younger years.

What I learned was you will always have friends as long as it is on your nickle. By nickle I mean if you are will to take the money or if you are willing to take the time. You cannot expect them to take the money or the time out of thier busy lives to be friends with you. For instance, you can go visit them as often as you want to. But they never have time to visit you. Or they won't take the money to drive all the way to your place. All though when you seen them the last time it was them that said we will have to drive to each others place and spend a few days together. But when the time comes they just don't have the time. Well that's alright, because I no longer spend the nickle first.

The question we have to ask ourselves is what kind of a friend are we. Do we take time out for a friend. Are we a friend. So like I knew when I was a young man, friendship still depends on what we can do for our friends, not what our friends will do for us. If we wait we will still be waitting years from now.

So now I ask, was I right all those years ago when I didn't trust people and had no friends. I thought I had several real friends when I joined the BOC but I've had one just drop me when he got a move up in the BOC. I stopped and visited another friend on my way back to Texas for an afternoon and spent the night with him. But now when he wants to go somewhere it sin't to Texas by any means. Then there are the friends that tell me when we are at a gathering to drive up and visit them for a few days and they will drive down and visit us for a few days. I've done that a couple times and have invited the other to come down but they never have time. Yet they are no more busy than I am and I always take the time to be a friend.

I guess this is the American way.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sounds like ya been burnt a couple times. Ya may if you are lucky have one or two real friends in your life. A word that is tossed around way to quickly. Cheer up!

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Lynne, I am with ya bro. I think there are a lot of folks who truly wish they could BE somewhere, but they cannot. I know I do.

It's not the question of who THEY are....it's the question of who YOU are.

What do you have to provide for the traveler?
    Not much, I could make a bed if necessary.

What do you have, to provide for the less needy?
    Are there less needy? Gees, I didn't know that.

What do you do, without any friends?
    IDK, I've always had friends. As of late, they've been computer friends.

So you even remember the rest of this email Tanya? Nope, but I remember who forwardeed it to me...jholl.

My dad is dying right now Lynne. I know you miss your son. But what good does this do? Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

A quote from the email I recieved, but this resounded with ME. We can all get bound up in our troubles. If you truly believe, that requires FAITH. FAITH means giving up........giving up what YOU think should happen. Not an easy thing.

You gotta decide if you will or won't. Best thing about it is that we get more than one chance.

You're YOU Lynne. I don't know ya, but know enough to say this......"Don't you give up! There are always possibilities."

I think that's what my dad would say, if he could. I haven't always made him the proudest Dad, but I love him with all my heart.

Do what you know you can do Lynne. I'm gonna try to.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with you I was the same way too when i was younger, it was hard for me to trust alot of people cause some would act like they was your friends then first chance they had, they wasnt your friend no more, but I had a couple friends that I have been really close to all through school and as i got older, alot of times when im sick and stuff in the hospital seems like there always there, its good to have some friends expecially some friends that you can trust, hopefully you can find some friends to that you can trust, because its always good to have some freinds when you need someone to talk or just be there for you when you need them.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    When I was a kid I had plenty of friends now that Im all "grown up" LOL whatever that means I do not have any. I do have a lot of aqaintences here on this board that I meet everyonce and awhile I do consider everyone I meet here a friend. I just keep to myself alot and closed up so in person you would probably profile me as a mass murderer :eek:oooh:. I like meeting new people I just dont hang with anyone.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like to think I have friends,I know of a few folks that helped my in some very tough times. These are true friends. I have many that I consider my friends on this board and if I were able to I would help them in any way possible.That being said the cost of fuel is killing any thoughts of traveling to visit many other than only family. I hope to be able to meet many more of you here ,I just dont know if it's possible.

7. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I beleave you can have true friends. I have made some real friends in the BOC for the short time I've been a member and would do anything I could for another Brother or sister of the BOC.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The first person you have to be a friend to is yourself. If you can't do that you can't be a friend to anyone else. Like BG says the word is thrown around a lot and doesn't mean much to a lot of people.
    You only really need one good friend, if you have two or three you are rich indeed.
    Life today is a rat race. people have the best of intentions but if they have a job, kids or other dependents and obligations there is little room for anything else unless you have super human will power to make time.

Don't let life make you bitter, no one likes the bitter fruit. Perhaps you need to be a bit more discerning when it comes to the people you try to become friends with. Just don't give up...W

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    LYNNE,

I HERE WHAT YOUR SAYING , I HAVE ALWAYS SAID IT'S BETTER TO GIVE THEN TO RECEIVE, YOUR REWARDS WILL BE 10 FOLD. I HAVE FIVE TRUE FRIENDS THAT WELL STAND BY ME IN ME TIME OF NEEDS, THEY ARE MY LORD JESUS CHRIST, MY WIFE AND MY KIDS. THE REST OF MY FRIEND'S ARE SOMETIMERS. I KNOW WHEN WE WERE GROWING UP THING'S WERE A LOT DEFFERENT THEN THEY ARE TODAY.BUT FRIEND'S ARE STILL FRIEND'S, SO HANG IN THERE AND PRAY TO GOD AND ASK HIM TO LEAD YOU TO SOME GOOD FRIEND'S AND HE SHALL ANSWER YOUR PRAYERS:big_smile::big_smile:

10. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with Tanya, Don't give up on having friends!:big_smile:

I have worked with the public for 21 years, I have had millions of acquaintances. Lots of co-workers. Never hung out with many of them.
    When I got divorced, I think my ex got custody of most of the people I considered friends.:smile2:

So that being said, I now have a couple of really good friends that I met through work or Matt.
    I also really didn't realize how many friends I had through work until the last couple of weeks. As I am graduating tonight and I am looking for another job, there have been many who are keeping an eye open for jobs for me, pulling strings to help, making sure that I know how much I will be missed at the job I have now. It really means alot to me that they make sure I know.

I have lots of cyber-friends on here, but I realize that I may never get to actually meet any of them in person. That's OK, I think I get to know some pretty well through their writing.

I have also had a few that just dropped off the face of the earth. One moves around alot with her husband who is in the service. She comes to visit her family in town and won't stop by for even a few minutes to say HI. (her kids used to sneak away to my house that's how I knew she was in town) I figure "OH WELL her loss, not mine" Took me a long time to get that way with her.
    Another got re-married and has never been around since. Don't know what happened there. Been almost 11 years since I talked to her (she don't return calls).

So to get to my point......
    Don't give up, when one friend lets you down, go get new ones. If you treat enough people the way you want to be treated, soon you will find someone that is a true friend. I see friendship as more give than take. :wink:

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats 100% the truth. I've made True Friends and not only acquaintances here. A couple of them I fish or talk to on a daily basis and consider them True Friends!!! I'd do anything in the world I could for them and I'd also do whatever I could for any of my BOC/SOC Family whether I've met them in person or not. Everybody I've met from here are great people, maybe except for that mean ol' Firechief guy.......:tounge_out::crazy::wink::smile2:....J/K Danny and you know it!

12. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brother, metalman was right about being a friend to yourself first.

Someone told me a long time ago when I was down and out, sort of, that friends and neighbors are what you make them of them. Good friendship are similar to marriage, you have to work at it. It does not just drop into your lap. Once you find it, you need to work at it and hold onto it, if it is what you want. I have friends, then I have close friends, my close friends will stop what they are doing and help me, they also call to see how I'm doing and what I'm doing. Now I have cyber friends, they might have concerns about me, such as my state of health, or want advice, etc., but they can be gone in the click of a delete key by parties unknown.

The fact that we are responding to your thread, indicates that there are people that care about you, so why don't you just read their advice and try out some of their suggestions. The best to you from this date forward. Your cyber brother. Mac

13. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I know I'm a a$$hole and work hard to do it.:tounge_out:

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats why we get along so good. :wink::smile2: I'm one too and proud of it!!!:wink::smile2:

I checked the weather and tomorrow night is looking good. I'm looking forward to going and watching you all & seeing old friends that I haven't seen in approx. 17-18 years ago.:wink::big_smile:

I won't fish either, I promise. You got my word on that!!!:wink: I'm just looking forward to seeing certain people...:wink::big_smile:
    I'll be the camera man.

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You don't make friends you make acquaintances, You find friends or they find you. True friendship involves love and sacrifice. Just remember, you can pick your nose, but you cant pick your friends! :wink:

16. roof99

roof99 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Guess who I had breakfast with this morning! She is coming down tommorow night. I think we will all have a good time.:wink:

17. roof99

roof99 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yes my husband is an @ss&ole! Atleast he admits it!:smile2::0a20:

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Lucky You!!!!! I haven't seen my old friend in approx. 18 years. Tomorrow night will be great even though I won't be fishing. I'll be rooting you all on though and I'll bring my camera also!!!
    Tell her Hey and She better show up tomorrow night.....or else!!!:wink::smile2:

19. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    There are many kinds of people I consider friends....I've had many enter into and leave my life at some point or another...we grow and our needs and feelings change and sometimes we have to move on...

When I began to read this I had to hunt this one up....I think it says it all, for me anyway...and all these types of "friends" were friends to me but I have experienced each and every kind of them.

Reason, Season and Lifetime
    People always come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.
    When you figure out which it is, you know exactly what to do.
    When someone is in your life for a REASON,
    it is usually to meet a need you have expressed outwardly or inwardly.
    They have come to assist you through a difficulty,
    or to provide you with guidance and support,
    to aid you physically, emotionally, or even spiritually.
    They may seem like a godsend to you, and they are.
    They are there for the reason you need them to be.
    Then, without any wrong doing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
    this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.
    Sometimes they die. Sometimes they just walk away.
    Sometimes they act up or out and force you to take a stand.
    What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done.
    The prayer you sent up has been answered and it is now time to move on.
    When people come into your life for a SEASON,
    it is because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn.
    They may bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.
    They may teach you something you have never done.
    They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.
    Believe it! It is real! But, only for a season.
    And like Spring turns to Summer and Summer to Fall,
    the season eventually ends.
    LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons;
    those things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.
    Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person/people (anyway);
    and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas in your life.
    It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.
    Thank you for being part of my life.
    ~©Brian A. "Drew" Chalker~
    Everyone hears what you say.
    Friends listen to what you say.
    Best friends listen to what you don't say.

20. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Actually Jack,
    You can pick your nose and you can pick your friends,
    But you can't pick your friends' noses...W