Is there any BAITCASTERS out there........

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by PRITCHETTK, May 13, 2006.

1. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    Is there any baitcasters out there that isn't notorious for backlashing so easy? I have a penn 4/0 and a tidewater reel and I can't throw either one of them 1 time without them backlashing on me. I use to own tons of smaller abu's like the 5500's and never had a problem casting them. I was just wondering if there is a baitcaster reel that wont backlash as bad. Or is a lot easier to throw. I try to adjust my drag so I can throw them but that does'nt work either, someone please help!!!!!!!!

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well I can tell you that there is no reel that's not going to backlash on you sometimes.

But I have found all of the Abu Reels to be very good at casting without many backlashes. They have excellent brakes in them, I like to use at least a 6500 though for most big Cats.

Good luck.

3. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    its not your drag you need to adjust, you should have a knob on the side of the reel that allows you to adjust the free wheeling of the spool. i adjust mine so that when i release the spool the weight/lure drops slowly. it is a good idea to adjust this, or check, periodically, or when you make major changes in weight. there are, or should be brass disc inside this knob, they are designed to wear, you can order replacements from the manufacture. not sure how long you been using bait casters, but thumbing the spool also controls backlash, your primary means. i am not saying i never get backlash, those that fish with me know that.

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    If you like the Abu's then get the Abu 7000c3..at least it has the brakes to assist in backlash reduction unlike those trolling reels.:big_smile:

5. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea if your having a hard time id actually reccomend tightening the tension knob so the bait hardly even falls at all or stays still

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    The more you practise the better you get.

7. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    Thanks for the quick info guys! I will get the prob fixed right away. I have been looking for a new or used abu 7000c3 no luck yet. Anyone know the best place to buy one, besides ebay?

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Go with an abu 7000, or 6500, you wont be sorry...The penn 320gt2 is not bad either.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
  10. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    try catfishconection.com

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hmmm, well I know Walmart around here sells them for $100 which is a little less then they sell in a lot of places.

But if you haven't tried adjusting the tension knob as suggested above then you should do that before purchasing new reels, I have Tidewaters and they cast great for me when I set them right.

Zakk

12. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree. Abu reels are less likely to have a bird's nest. The one I have that nests up the worst is a Quantum.

13. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I don't get many backlashes. Practice Practice Pratice. Sounds like you need a practice weight. Thats the only way to get used to it.

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Actually the key to using the trolling reels is to "train" your thumb to stay in almost constant contact with the spool. When I teach someone to use any baitcaster I make them keep their thumb on the bar on the back of the reel..simply curl the tip of your thumb back rather than lifting it upon casting and lightly touch the spool prior to the terminal tackle contacting the water. Correct adjustment of the cast control knob, practice and using the procedure outlined above will allow anyone to cast these reels.:big_smile:

15. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    How about when you have a decent size weight on a light line with the drag set real loose and you go to fling it hard across the lake and it feels like someone just sliced your thumb with a razor-blade.

16. Hook

Hook New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think the most important thing is to balance the drag with the weight of the sinker and bait. There are time when even an extremely small change in weight can make a big difference.

17. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Until my thumb developed calluses I used to wrap a bandaid or waterproof tape around my thumb...however you can loose the feel for the spool and will have to practice using this...I fish alot so my thumb toughened up...but I admit I go through that at the beginning of every season. Especially using Braided lines...this year I am using mono and its not a problem.:wink: Like I said..curl the tip of your thumb back...if you need to...have it just off the spool..and touch the spool (lightly tap it with your thumb to slow the spool..then feather it)just prior to terminal tackle hittin the water....if your throwing a long ways like you say then you have thrown a lot of line off your reel leaving the side of your spool exposed...use the side of your thumb to feather it there then...always a way...just practice...it will come.:big_smile:

18. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The Penn 4/0 can be adjusted but it was not built to cast and you have to use you thumb to control the spool when casting one. The 4/0 is a big game trolling reel. They are some what harder to cast and the only way to get good at casting one is to pratice a lot. Now if you ever want to part with it let me know.

19. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Al the post seem to have good info one think I would add is that when the bait stops its forward momentum you need to thumb the spool or at least this works for me

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK SOME TIME

20. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    Thanks for everyones help! I have changed the little knob on the side of the reels and I can throw them a lot better! I have also purchased a abu 7000 c3 :) Can't wait to get it here!